So I introduced my brother in law to turbo Buick power

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
First off this isn't a kill story but I figured this might be a more fitting place to post this instead of the lounge....

My brother in law is a Pontiac Trans AM guy....he currently owns a 2002 WS6 6 speed and in the past owned a few 3rd gens. He's got the WS6 modded some.

He drops by today to bring over his step son who's going with us on a road trip. He sees the Buick outside and begins to look it over, as I am cleaning it up for a car show.

I then pop the hood, explain how I'm running 23 lbs of boost, how I have alcohol injection, the straight shot exhaust, etc. Hie actually asks me "that's a V6?" After wards I invite him and my nephew to the car show.

So we get out on a long stretch of road, I decide to open it up a little for him...then we come upon a truck doing 55-60 mph and I decide to pass the truck like it's standing still. I ended up standing on the throttle until long after we've passed the truck and we're flying down the road at 115 + mph....all of this within a 15 second time frame.

His words "I'm impressed"....then my nephew asks "do you think this car could beat your Trans AM"...to which he responds "I don't know, but I will say this thing is stronger though"....

After the car show I then came back down the same stretch of highway and decided to do a burnout...got the car sideways and then turned around to witness the marks...they're black and semi long....so i take it up the street a little, turn around in a farmers drive, then proceed to smoke them until the whole cabin was filled with smoke and you could not even see out the windshield! :eek: :D Even though i smoked us all out I knew they actually enjoyed it.

After getting back he was rather astonished at all the rubber that was flung up on the quarter panels.

Later I asked him in a round about way if he'd consider buying a turbo Buick...his response..."I don't know, but I now have a respect for them".

So maybe I've not turned him on to buying one just yet, but at least now he knows that little V6 sure as hell ain't no slouch. ;)

I'm amazed that after all these years even people that are into cars seem to know nothing about Turbo Buicks. Its not just the 30 and under crowd either. My dad is almost 60 and still thinks the only 6 worth having was in a Barracuda LOL.

I'll betcha he'll think twice if he pulls up to one in his TA at a red-light.

Yeah when i had mine some peeps could not believe it was only a six and ran better then some 8's

Yeah I wouldn't mind doing a heads up race with him in his T/A, only thing is he lives over 2 hrs away from the track. I myself live 60 miles away from it.

What was so special about the 6 in the Barracuda?

I have heard the Pontiac "Sprint" OHC 6 4 barrel back in the 60's could put some of the small blocks of the day to shame.

Actually I tried telling him about the TTA, and how they used the same engine as a GN, but he kept insisting that they had issues with turbo spool up from the factory and a GN would smoke a TTA off the line.

Of course I don't know but I'm thinking it's a bunch of bull he heard thru the grape vine from somewhere.

Actually I tried telling him about the TTA, and how they used the same engine as a GN, but he kept insisting that they had issues with turbo spool up from the factory and a GN would smoke a TTA off the line.

Of course I don't know but I'm thinking it's a bunch of bull he heard thru the grape vine from somewhere.

Maybe hes thinking of the 80-81 TransAm and Formula Firebirds they put the Turbo 301 into. Never driven one myself, but supposedly they are complete dogs. Pretty much how NOT to do a turbo motor.

I have a cousin with a 89 Trans AM GTA and a 01 Formula who think their the baddest things out their I let him drive my 87 T one time and the look on his face when he would get on it was priceless, my car is almost completely stock to, hes now looking for a TTA or a GN motor to put in his GTA.

Maybe hes thinking of the 80-81 TransAm and Formula Firebirds they put the Turbo 301 into. Never driven one myself, but supposedly they are complete dogs. Pretty much how NOT to do a turbo motor.

They were dogs.....only 9 PSI and a ton of turbo lag. Which is why the crew on the making of Smokey And The Bandit II had to revert to the use of nitrous oxide to get the cars up to the speed they wanted.

I'm pretty sure he was thinking of the '89 turbo T/A, and not the '80-'81 turbo T/A. I could be wrong. Or he could have been misinformed from another source.