So I am bleeding my brakes....or trying to

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
and man I got the vacuum pump doohickey and everything. Got me Dot 4 fluid for the job. New brake lines so I know its going to suck up some fluid. So I pop the adapter thing on the bleeder AFTER I put a couple of teflon wraps on the bleeder and I pumping and sucking and raising hell. Nothing is coming through the line. NOTHING. So I pull the adapter off and pull the bleeder out and fluid is dripping out of the bleeder hole. I take the teflon off and re-wrap it making doubly sure that I don't wrap over the little bleed hole. Put it back in and pumping and sucking and raising hell and NOTHING is coming through the hose. I go check the reservoir and its full of all new DOT 4 brake fluid. WTH? So I put the bleeder back in and barely get it started in the hole and give it one full turn. Now I know its not sealing up because its close to falling out. I'm pumping and sucking and raising hell and NOTHING IS COMING THROUGH THE FRUGGIN HOSE. So I walked away from it. Went washed my hands and ate a plum. Fixed some Kool Aid and my Kool Aid is THE BOMB. You see I use just a little hot water to dissolve the Kool Aid mix and then pour in a two liter bottle of Mountain Dew;). So I'm drinking my Green Apple Bohemian Paradise....I call MY Kool Aid Bohemian Paradise. As I sip I think about what the hell could be the trouble with my bleeding procedure. Maybe its the adapter. So I go back into the garage and take the vacuum pump off and pull the adapter off the bleeder. Brake fluid is drizzle-dripping from the bleeder. The adapter is a 90º deal so I can't see through it. I wash it off by wiping it on my T-shirt and blow into it. NOTHING. I can't blow crap through this adapter. So I took a small drill bit and drilled out what was supposed to be the brake fluid passage and reamed it out some and now I can blow through it. Put it back on and BINGO we are bleeding brakes. So guys whenever you hit a snag just remember 'Bohemian Paradise' for the win.:)

i always just let gravity do all the work... pull the bleeders all the way out and leave them until fluid starts to run, then put the bleeders back in with a hose to direct the fluid to a container of some sort... after a while i seal it up and 9/10 times i have a firm pedal.. that remaining time can be a real bitch sometimes, tho..

Drip is better than vacuum. I always seem to introduce bubbles by drawing the fluid with a MityVac. I would love a Phoenix reverse bleeder but $400 for bleeding brakes is not in my budget. Clear tubing and empty Nestle' water bottles are though.

Motive Power Bleeder works well and is pretty inexpensive. I've used it many times on my car with great success every time.

Motive Power Bleeder works well and is pretty inexpensive. I've used it many times on my car with great success every time.

What he said. Back when I was a mechanic, it didn't take me long to realize that the vacuum bleeders were way more hassle than they were worth. I ended up doing it the old fashioned way. I borrowed a friend's Motive power bleeder recently, which puts pressure (with the brake fluid) on the master cylinder end instead of sucking it through, and it worked extremely well. If I wanted a power bleeder, I would go with this one.

The ATE Super Blue and Super Yellow DOT4 fluids are great for flushing brake systems. Use this with a power bleeder and you know you are on new fluid because the color changed.

Last edited:
I just remove the brake fluid reservoir cap then let gravity do the rest, just remember to put the cap back on before you start pumping the brakes...