Sneezing Mouse??

TurboJunky

Fire the Federal Gov't
Yesterday while checking out Woodward Ave since cruising's started in prep for the Dream Cruise, some purplish Subaru pulls up next to me revving his "engine". This stupid looking winged thing with black windshield was piloted by [can you believe] college age guys. What the hell is a WRX? I don't even know what a WRX is or much about imports but this guy was acting like Bob Glidden in a pro-stocker. I just shook my head and laughed. He wouldn't let up and kept speeding up/slowing down and revving his engine...what a loser. Funny thing was when he let out of it, the thing sounded like a mouse sneezing. Is that what a mouse motor is with a blow off valve or something?? :confused: After a few miles of his nonsense I had to give him the sound of 3.8 V-6 fury. Enough was enough....spool up and tires started breaking loose at the top of 1st gear then BAM! second gear and the car slid sideways hard. All this with my rear tires lined up perfectly with his front window rolled down. Ok, he's gotten enough of the dark side....back to cruising at 45mph. The limo tint on the windshield must have added an extra 20hp to his Sub-r-u

Now I want to hunt him with the TTA....GOD those guys are annoying!

Originally posted by TT/A1233
What the hell is a WRX? I don't even know what a WRX is

Turbo charged, AWD, manual trans, and not really all that exciting in stock form (well, I guess it would be if the fastest thing you had ever ridden in was moms mini van :rolleyes: ).

Ive seen stock WRXs run at the track (1/8th mile) and they run high 8s with the driver launching it like he stole it.... Rev it to ~5 grand and side step the clutch. From what little Ive read on the net they can be modded to run pretty decent.

Im patiently waiting to run across one on the street while driving the Syclone since more than likely the WRX driver thinks he/she owns the only turbo AWD vehicle ever made and is used to trouncing ppl at stop lights. Ive got 15psi worth of real hard launching education to introduce him/her to :D .

Yea, I've got NO use for imports. Dad and two uncles are retired GM and since I live in the Motor City. There just isn't too much import interest unless you're 20 yrs old or under....

If you see one with a hood scoop that looks like the lint screen from a dryer (you know, the kind that has the handle sticking out of the top of the dryer and goes way down inside it?) and a big ugly wing it might be a WRX sti. Someone around here has one. I understand they're pretty quick. "sti" is Subaru's hot-rodded designation (like an "M"-series BMW) I guess.

I've seen this one around town a few times but haven't run into it yet. I always seem to be going the other way.

Jim

What the hell is a WRX? I don't even know what a WRX is or much about imports but this guy was acting like Bob Glidden in a pro-stocker.
Is that what a mouse motor is with a blow off valve or something??
Enough was enough....spool up and tires started breaking loose at the top of 1st gear then BAM! second gear and the car slid sideways hard.
Now I want to hunt him with the TTA....GOD those guys are annoying!

Wow, you really must live in a cave...are you a Taliban? ;) Even if you don't like imports, how can you not know about a car that has won virtually EVERY award in the past two years.
A mouse motor? 220+ lbs ft or tq fro 2.0L 4cyl...yeah, a real mouse motor.
With you breaking your tires lose, that's exactly why he would have left you in your own tires smoke if he wanted to. AWD is a beautiful thing.
I really wouldn't be talking trash on a WRX. Most of them out there now will beat your stock GN...they are beefy turbo cars like the Buicks, a little money gets you into the mid 13's all day without rediculous 5k rpm launches. And a decent percent out there will leave your TTA behind too, so make sure you're careful who you "hurt" with it.

I think he was talking trash more about the putz behind the wheel, not so much the car. He just had never heard of a WRX. I personally have no respect for someone that acts like that, no matter what they drive. Although he did call it a stupid looking winged thing. :D

Brian

correct me if im wrong, but arent stis running 13.1's stock? if i had a decent driving record, id be all over a wrx.

Originally posted by wagon
I think he was talking trash more about the putz behind the wheel, not so much the car. He just had never heard of a WRX. I personally have no respect for someone that acts like that, no matter what they drive. Although he did call it a stupid looking winged thing. :D

Brian

I figured that too, wagon, but who was more of a "putz", someone just revving the engine to make the blow off valve vent when surrounded by other cars cruising (granted, annoying if he kept doing it, but harmless), or someone who felt the need to light up the tires and swing the car sideways?

Originally posted by ez at nova
I figured that too, wagon, but who was more of a "putz", someone just revving the engine to make the blow off valve vent when surrounded by other cars cruising (granted, annoying if he kept doing it, but harmless), or someone who felt the need to light up the tires and swing the car sideways?
I guess you had to have been there to understand. The thing looked stupid. Black windshield, purple paint and 747 wing on the deck, picture that in your head.

I don't live in a cave and don't read import (or other) performance mags to keep up on who's "king of the [import] hill"...I really don't care. The guy was acting like a gnat that buzzes around your face while you cut the grass and needed to hear an opponents tires in his ears. Kinda like swatting at flies, or bug spray with a lot of deet....low-and-behold...it worked. He promptly left me alone.

I don't go buzzing around people for 3-4 miles trying to goad them into a race so I'd say he was the "putz" who needed an education. By the way, a factory original GN (since they're so slow anyway) didn't "light up the tires and swing the car sideways"....re-read my original post. I thought I said I broke the tires loose at the top of 1st gear and hit 2nd gear HARD which made the car slide to the side (which is kinda normal with a 1-2 shift that barks the tires :rolleyes:)

The car looked stupid and driver was as annoying as a gnat...get it?

AWD turbo??... Is that similar to the Typhoon I owned for a year?

You WRX owners need to grow some thicker skin....

Originally posted by ez at nova

Oh, you'll get get differing opinions on that one.

where abouts in woodward were you?
i work down there in west bloomfield sometimes and always see beautiful cars to race... of course i never have my gn at work :( :rolleyes: but in 1 day i saw v12 maranello ferrari, newer porche carrera turbo, always vettes/z06s and i often see a few older lookin ferraris.. maybe from the 80s...
this is found in the sq lake woodward area and a quite wealthy town... you should prey there looking for victims.. most drive quite quickly

The only time I go down that way is the days leading up to the Woodward Dream Cruise. Other than that it's just an occasional car show around here and this year I haven't had much time for that. Only show the TTA's been in this year has been Autorama.

In any case when I hit Woodward it's around the 13 mile area....

My friend signed up on the waiting list in New York to be one of the first to get the '04 WRX STi... Just got it a few weeks ago/last month, I don't remember exactly when. Those things are nasty-quick, let me tell you, and they handle like they're on rails... but it still wasn't as fast as the GN I rode in when I was "looking to buy one" last year :D

AWD turbo??... Is that similar to the Typhoon I owned for a year?
Well...it would be sort of like the Typhoon, but 1/2 as many liters and nowhere near as comfortable.