Smokey & The Bandit

I am going to have to watch it again, seems to still be some confusion as to what engines were in the various cars they used. :confused:

Russ did you find the book yet. :eek: :D

I thought the 6.6 were pigs. :p

THANK YOU Doug Jacobson

That bugs me too....

I got Really sick of it when I owned my 70 TA
"dus dat der have da BIG Blouck 455 er small blouck in'er?...my cousins brothers friends neighbor had one of dem 70s with da fo fiddy fie in it" - drove me frickin' crazy. On power tour I just started agreeing with all the statements.

Just for the record, the 70 TA was never avaiable with the 455...

I thought they were all 400 Pontiacs from what I've read throughout the internet. I had a '79 TA w/ the 403 Olds smog motor. Not much power there. I do think the Bandit TA is probably one of the coolest TAs ever built.

Later,

Steve.

I didn't mean to get anybody's dander up, I just thought using the term "big block" would make it easier to explain. And yes the ones that said 6.6litre on the scoop had the Olds 403, And the ones that said T/A6.6 was the Pontiac 400.

Originally posted by plowboy72
I didn't mean to get anybody's dander up, I just thought using the term "big block" would make it easier to explain. And yes the ones that said 6.6litre on the scoop had the Olds 403, And the ones that said T/A6.6 was the Pontiac 400.

That shows what I dumb ass I am. I thought the 6.6 was the 455 back to litre school I guess:D

Patrick concentrates and uses his JEDI powers...

Here you go guys and gals.

http://www.wavcentral.com/movies/smokey.html

http://www.wavsource.com/movies/smokey_and_bandit.htm

Big fan of the movie...
My favorite quote?
Bank Robbers? BANK ROBBERS!?! Bank robbins baby @#$% next to what these guys are doin.. Runnin through peoples back yaaards, nockin over mail boxes. Nearly killed 20 brother law officers. Got a broad in the car, took her across state lines...Now thats de man act. I don't think he's got her permission and that's kidnappin!

Gotta love it...

My dad worked for Pontiac Motors where the T/A was built at the time the movie came out. He was able to smuggle me out a black/gold hood bird rolled up in his leg!

Anyway, the scuttle-butt was 11 T/A's were used to make the film, many of which were demolished. The primary one(s) had 455's under the hood for the needed power to do the hot stunts.

laying rubber

My 77 Formula with 400/4speed combo and 3.42's would lay 20-30 ft marks in 1st and 8-10ft in 2nd. Stk carb, intake,ex manifolds,stock exhaust w/cat removed. 85 TA WS6 wheels with 245/50/16 tires.

Originally posted by 0to60n4.5
Is the 403 olds a "BIG BLOCK" or a "small block" ?

403 olds was the same external dimensions as the Poncho motor...so it's not really either. The BOP motors were short like small block Chevys but really wiiiiiiiide.

In the 2nd SATB the car was a 4.9 Turbo car, as you can tell by the hood "scoop" and decals. However, considering how anemic that motor was, I'm sure it was quickly pulled and replaced with a motor of considerable power..like a Honda VTEC.

Originally posted by WakkoSS
403 olds was the same external dimensions as the Poncho motor...so it's not really either. The BOP motors were short like small block Chevys but really wiiiiiiiide.

In the 2nd SATB the car was a 4.9 Turbo car, as you can tell by the hood "scoop" and decals. However, considering how anemic that motor was, I'm sure it was quickly pulled and replaced with a motor of considerable power..like a Honda VTEC.
Was there mods for the 4.9 Turbo or is it just a slob:p

Originally posted by Russ Merritt
Absolutely more than one.............They set a record on the jump over the bridge, that car was destroyed. I forget her real name, her nick name was Frog............. "Cause your always hoppin around, and your kinda cute like a frog and........I'd like to jump ya" :D
I remember when the movie came out! That was THE kewlest movie to watch if you were a car nut. I remember the jump being advertised as a record jump, too.. Burt R can't act but I loved the music by Jerry Reid! OOohhh and Sally Field was a looker back then and I guess she still is.. Geeezz, makes me want to buy a black TA and cruz the interstates looking for women in wedding dresses..LOL..

ks:cool:

Originally posted by Doug Jacobson
No, they ar quite a bit lighter, a 455 Pontiac only weighs like 70 lbs more than a SBC. There is no "small block" Pontiac so there really can't be a "big block" And don't give me any "a 301 is a small block Pontiac either" those were throwaway motors thatI don't even consider a Pontiac. :D

I guess it shouldn't be mentioned that Pontiac also had a 265ci POS. And no it wasn't a SBC. As a matter of fact it was based on a 301 with a shorter stroke and bore. Used in 80 and 81. Not to nit-pick here but if it has a shorter deck height wouldn't that be considered a small block.

0to60- The Olds 403 is considered a small block. Like the Olds 350 it has a shorter deck height than the Olds 400/425/455.

BTW in 77-78 the decals on the shaker meant one of 3 things:
6.6 litre: Olds 403 or Pont 400 w/o WS6 HO
T/A 6.6 Pontiac 400 w/WS6 HO

And last but not least I am the former owner of a last of the line 1976 T/A with the 215HP 455 4-speed so that qualifies me as a smart a$$ in this thread.

Originally posted by njturbo
What was the baddest TA made:confused:
That's an easy one since I used to own this particular model. Question is how many know much about it?:

Attachments

• turbot-a.jpg
    turbot-a.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 164
Originally posted by TT/A1233
That's an easy one since I used to own this particular model. Question is how many know much about it?:

That doesn't count we mean Big Block cars;)

Originally posted by njturbo
That doesn't count we mean Big Block cars;)
Oh, my bad. I misunderstood your question.

I still think it's the baddest T/A ever made!