Smoke thro exhaust at times

Beecha91

Hey guys,

I have this problem with the car smoking through the exhaust sometimes after the car is hot, and usually when i come to a complete stop never while im in motion. I was told it could be my turbo seals, so i emailed Limit in AZ, and he just emailed me back and told me what it could be. This is what he said "Rarely do turbine side seals go bad. Make sure your drain line is unobstructed and that the crankcase ventilation system is operating properly. If there is in and out movement of the shaft, that is probably your problem" I do have the drain line bolts thats on the side closest to you when your looking under the hood, its always wet with oil, not dripping but wet none the less. Could this be my problem, how would i go about fixing it? Anyone else have this problem before?? I have two crankcase filters to relieve pressure, what does he mean by working properly?? Any help and ideas would be great, i wanna rid this problem it just makes the car look like a pos to people who dont know, and the car is from a pos. Thanx in advance!

Don-

Sounds exactly like what my car was doing when I bought it. It smoked like a mosquito fogger, especailly when it warmed up and was sitting still. The turbo was bad. Oil was leaking into the downpipe on the exhaust side of the turbo seal, and burning out the exhaust. The shaft also had a lot of play in it in the exhaust side too.

Make sure your drain line is unobstructed
1. Remove the turbo oil drain, and make sure it's not full of crap. Replace the gasket, and you should be fine. It shouldn't be leaking at all.

2. Remove the inlet bell from the turbo, and make sure the shaft doesn't have excessive in/out play.

You mentioned that it's smoking...what color is the smoke?

The smoke looks like a greyish color, if i had to pick a color. It only smokes after the cars warm, and usually after ive been getting on the car a bit, and come to a stop. How do i remove the inlet bell to the turbo? Thanx for the thoughts so far, keep it up!!

Don-

How do i remove the inlet bell to the turbo?
Remove the inlet hose, and the inlet bell is an aluminum bell-shaped reducer that's held on by two 1/2" nuts. Once it's off, grab the nut that holds the compressor wheel, and see if you can pull it in and out at all. Some side-to-side movement is normal.