Smoke test - Why does smoke come out of this area of the turbo?

sierra8

New to turbo's been trying to fix a cold start surging idle issue on an 87 i bought so I thought vacuum leak did the cigar smoke test and got smoke out the side of turbo see pic. Don't know if that's normal or not, didn't see any smoke anywhere else other then when it reached the air cleaner.

Attachments

• IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 191
That port should have a hose/pipe that goes to the front of the passenger side valve cover. If the hose has been removed and the breather at the end of the valve cover has been replaced by an open element filter that port needs to be capped off. It is very common to bypass that to keep the oil out of the turbo.

^^^ Like he said, need to cap that port. PM me your address if you need a cap and I'll send you one, no charge.

Yes a have a breather on the side of the valve cover, makes sense now thank you.

Capping that might fix your surge problem since it is letting in un-metered air after the MAF sensor.

"cold start surging idle issue on an 87".. Not only does the cold start go lean, the lean issue is there at any time the engine is running. NOT good.

BLM is 142 but I figured that was due to the cracked driverside header (87GNSteve you have paypal money)
so thats my next fix and then what appears to be oil leaking from everywhere I'm hoping its just the valve cover

When I say cold start I should have said when the weather is 60 or below its surges till it warms up then runs fine, guess I'm going to have to wait another 2 months or so to see if its fixed.

The horrible squeal went away coming off throttle since i capped it, Thought I was going to need a new turbo.

Its stock with 99,500 miles not sure I'm loving the wheels yet but they have been growing on me, after i get it running right I might look for a nice set of stock GN or GTA I have a set of stock wheels but there pretty bad shape.

Attachments

• IMG_0646.jpg
    IMG_0646.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 120
Nice ride! Im with you on the Gta wheels,also what does Sierra8 stand for.?

Classic Industries is offering 25% off till Sunday. Coupon code FRE15. Those black wheels on your GN belong on a Jeep imo.

Sierra8 was my jobs call sign
I have one of those too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
Last edited: