smoke at start up

gngeorge

When I start my TR(cold) after 5-10 minutes it smokes out the tail pipe, after another 10 minutes or a short drive it goes away, what does this seem to be,thanks in advance.blueish gray smoke

Valve guides come to mind. Although I have seen leaky injectors cause it.

Same thing has been happening to my car since last summer. Put on a new turbo, new intercooler, couple other things, stored it for the winter, and now when I take it out it smokes. I'm wondering if the turbo oil filter system has anything to do with it.

Goes away after a few minutes and no smoke when driving so I wasn't too concerned yet.

I was thinking the same thing,how can I tell if the injectors are leaking?

Put a gauge on the fuel rail and see how long it takes to bleed down. I'm not sure what's "Normal".

This happened to my car back in 88 or so. One dealer said it was valve guides. The other changed the injectors and it cleared up.

Fuel usually produces black smoke. I hope you have removed the factory valve cover to turbo oil fume vent line? Guides or valve stem seals leaking can produce this also like stated. Factory seals can be replaced with the heads still on the block and a good time to replace the valve springs or at least check them. A new turbo doesn't always mean the shaft seal isn't leaking. You can check most of this most likely culprits w/o much work. HTH Gene

valve guides. when you shut off car the oild runs down the guide into the combustion chamber then eventually burns off when started

thanks for the replies everyone, I sold the car so I will relay the info to the new owner. In a few years from now,depending on the economy and the construction outlook in NYC, I will buy a nice low mileage TR or GN to take to shows and cruising.:cool: