Smog help!

turbobooster

Just took my car in for a smog test run and the guy told me my rpm is too high in drive and can't complete the test what the hell does that mean ? My car idles at 975 in park

What does it do in drive? The idle is controlled by the ECM. Make sure your TPS and IAC valve are set right and it should be ok.

If it indeed idles to high the screw on the side of the throttle body that some folks think is to adj the idle may be in too far. It should be in only far enough to keep the car from stalling & throttle blade from sticking. The other issue while we are discussing this is to make sure the pintle tip on the IAC motor is clean as well as the throttle body & passages. After completing that set the TPS to .44 volts after doing that the car should idle fine assuming no other problems. The other thing to consider is that the smog tech may be intimidated by the off beat nature of a hot air Buick & rather not risk his license fearing a mistake.

Last time I checked I did set my tps .44 according to the step by step procedure but I will check it out again just to be sure it's not that .... U hit it right on the money Lou I do believe this guy was intimidated when he popped the good I'm pretty much stock except for the 3 inch down pipe and I couldn't understand wat he was saying for the life of me the more I would ask the worse our communication went all I understood was that when my car was in drive and he would press the gas to get a reading he couldn't so therefor he could not complete the test that the system wouldn't let him .... So I'm not sure where I really stand on this matter .... I use to have my "hook ups" but now with this star smog sh*# seems like it's harder to "pass"

Last time I checked I did set my tps .44 according to the step by step procedure but I will check it out again just to be sure it's not that .... U hit it right on the money Lou I do believe this guy was intimidated when he popped the good I'm pretty much stock except for the 3 inch down pipe and I couldn't understand wat he was saying for the life of me the more I would ask the worse our communication went all I understood was that when my car was in drive and he would press the gas to get a reading he couldn't so therefor he could not complete the test that the system wouldn't let him .... So I'm not sure where I really stand on this matter .... I use to have my "hook ups" but now with this star smog sh*# seems like it's harder to "pass"
Perhaps he should of not tried to test it in any of the higher gears. My shop did smog tests for many years & i know how these guys think. if there is any chance of them getting in trouble they will bail cause it's simply not worth losing their license & income. Let me also caution you against mentioning anything illegal here. The gestapo are very proud of this program & loose lips sink ships !

I don't blame them not worth losing their license over a car ..... I will keep ur advice in mind the last thing I want to do is throw anyone under the bus or cause any problems I'm a very long active member and proud to be so .... Hopefully I can get my car up to par to pass I will update more as I get around to it and will also pint out any problems that rise and hope to get help from the wise