Smells like Burning.....

graza002

Nucking Futs
My car smells like something is burning....Well actually I think I found out what it is. Here is what I think...On the scanmaster I am only reading 11.4 volts with the engine at 2400rpm..oh and I do have a new battery. Last time I took the car out I smelled the same burning smell....kinda like burning wires. This time the smell didn't start till the return trip home when I also noticed the car falling on its face at WOT...but that's another story, back to the burning smell....I brought the car back home, lifted the hood and began to poke around. I did not see any wires or wire harnesses hitting anything hot or anything that was melted....so that's all good. But I did however, smell a horrific burning smell right on top of the alternator, the smell was not behind below or next to the alternator, just on top. So I am thinking the alt. is toast...right? I don't know how old it is, but what I can say is that 2 years ago I had it taken apart, cleaned and had the barrings replaced....as well as had it load tested, and everything checked out.

My next question is, would an improper power supply such as the alternator being shot cause the car to fall on its face at WOT? At idle everything is fine...

Help please....LOL

yes 11.4 at alt even with a FP hot wire will mean FP is not running a t full capacity as well as the coil...and eerything else....what happens when you turn on the lights....probably drops even more...time for a new 200 amp plus alternator.....

yes 11.4 at alt even with a FP hot wire will mean FP is not running a t full capacity as well as the coil...and eerything else....what happens when you turn on the lights....probably drops even more...time for a new 200 amp plus alternator.....

You know... I didn't try turning on the lights. I figured I had a problem when the car was idling and the SM was only reading 10.8 volts...lol.

I just wanted to make sure that something else couldn't be wrong....I am kinda a sh!t magnet when it comes to these cars. Also when the car would fall on its face it was when the alky was spraying....hmmm.....

I was just on Cotton's site...Does or has anyone ran his 240 amp unit? The price is sure right @ 240.00.

I have an older 200amp unit.... runs 13.3 at WOT with alky...laptop..dual ramchargers fans and oil/trans cooler fans....

Just got the alt. tested...yup just as suspected...it failed. It has a bad regulator....well a burned up one....:D

If I was in you situation, I would just get the larger alt and be done with it.

Thats exactly what I am going to do. Unfortunately, everyone is closed. I am going to order the new unit from Cotton's. He has the 240 amp unit in stock. But being that it is Friday, I don't think he will be back in till Monday. I will try him tomorrow....maybe I will get lucky.