Slow spool, can't get over 15 PSI

Thats what I mean! You are describing two different areas. One is the seal between the DP and the turbos turbine housing ( that has no effect on boost), The other is the seal between the puck itself, and the wastegate hole! (Very important) Loose screw would have no effect on boost, unless every screw on the DP was very loose! Like 5turns out, and the puck did not line up right .

hmmm, maybe my puck wasnt lined up? When I reinstalled my dp I disconnected it from the y pipe and totally reconnected everything. I dont know what I did but I got two extra pounds of boost. Only one bolt was loose and there was exhaust soot. The reason I redid the dp was 'cause someone told me that could be the problem. Problems gone.

Glad to hear some progress. Now, I need to go and puck my wife.

You can put some Chalk, or something that is going to make a mark on the turbine housing, where the puck comes into contact with the wastegate hole. Make sure the puck will completly cover the hole, or you will have turtle power! Sloooow to spool!

Scott

I think I may have found my problem
between last night and this morning i changed out the old springs for kirban HDs ,new retainers and keepers and had it buttoned back up around 930 am ,it feels crisper and vacuum picked up 1hg and is rock steady , took it for a run around the block and still dint feel like the top end was pulling , so i pulled off the Kenn bell ram air filter housing and tried again with GTech comp and the hp is way down as well as torque (130 hp at 4350 and 210torq at 3200 ), just a bit better than i read before the spring swap but i didnt know if it was accurate since i just got the Gtech last week , i didnt make it back to the buick meet and spent the day going over every inch of the motor rechecking all wire connections and tying back everything that moved or could shake . with the KB cover off i can now hear the turbo whistle and just reving it up i could hear theres a problem at the top end like flutter , figuring i would swap the turbo i started by taking of the sheild , undoing the down pipe and then decided to check the converter
after seperating the pipe from the cat i was able to pull out the down the pipe , If any one has never seen a catalytic melt down Ive got some nice pics , the front portion of the honeycomb was shattered and loose and the section after that melted down with little left for an exhaust path
now i just need to gut the cat and put it back together and hopefully it will run like a GN should and i can move on to cranking ithe boost up and Ill be looking for new DP and a high flow cat (need one in NJ ).

problem 1 solved ,now comes another.
i rodded the damaged end of the converter and the back half of it was still intact and clear so i will try with that first (should pass emmisions even with 1/2 of it gone ), welded the cat back to the Down pipe and since Dp was out i thought i would check the turbo , there was no signs of oil leakage , i reached into the exhaust elbow and spun the wheel with my finger , i got a very light scraping noise when turning (sounds like its the compressor fins ) , not continuous scraping, just when i apply pressure so there must be some play afik if its scrapes it has unaccceptable play , so I guess i'll be replacing the turbo tomorrow . ive got another stock unit but need to make the WG adjustable

I got my boost back!

I found and fixed the problem tonight...The exhaust gasket between the elbow and downpipe had broken, and a piece was sticking into the puck area. It looked like the wrong gasket, I replaced the gasket, ported the hole a little and smoothed out the puck and sealing area. I got the car together, and it shot up to 20 lbs so I got out of it. I had to crank the wg actuator back down, this car is like a completely different animal now. I just wish I had some 116 so I could try going over 19 lbs now:D Thanks everyone for your suggestions, and to all who jumped in with me at etown this weekend. I'm going for 13s this week, then 12s after I put the posi in:cool:

njvetteguy
let me know if when your heading back to e-town , im sure i should be able to get it to go better than it did this weekend .
really sucked because i could hear the cars running all day long while i was fiddling with my moneypit in the driveway

Question Please

I own an 87 GN and have since 1988. Sorry for asking a dumb question but what is the "PUCK". I quess I need to get out more but I'm sure there are a lot of others on this site that doesn't know what you are talking about sometimes. Thanks

the piece of metal that looks like a silver dollar. It is attatched to a swing arm on the down pipe, the external part of swing arm goes to the wastegate accuator arm. The puck covers up the waste gate hole on the turbo's turbine housing, when max boost is reached, the puck will open the hole and stop turbo from over boosting, bleeding off extra exaust pressure. Three basic ways to control. 1) mechanicaly with a stronger spring in wastegate accuator, or by tightning the actuator arm. 2) electronicaly by altering the waste gate soloniod pulse, by chip or another boost controller, 3) pneumaticaly by bleeding of pressure from the compressor housing to the actuator.

All these ways affect the puck movement in relation to boost pressure.
Anyone have other comments?

Scott

all is well in buick land
cleaned out the melted cat (still have 1/2 of it left),changed old turbo for used stock turbo with less miles , made the wastegate adjustable and did a litlle rerouting of wires to clean up engine are and took it for a run with my nephew in car (hes not a kid and about 175lb putting the vehicle weight at approx 3800lb ,

not really trying to launch , just gun it from a stop but with lots of spin the car is now pulling great ,GTech comp meter showed l gained over 120hp and 130tq compared to before , o-60 in 5.9 1/8 in 9.05 but at at 83,mph and rpms were up but shifted at 4875 and boost was up now to around 17lbs
now to get to the track and record some real times