Slotted and drilled rotors

Quiky One said:
Rob, does the GN stop a lot better with the crossdrilled rotors over stock?

Thanks Jason
Regular braking, not much difference, but on those hard long stops like at the end of those tracks with not much stopping distance there's a definite difference, mainly because if the increasing cooling and the slots allows for the hot gases to escape. Also, I've never had a set of x-drilled or slotted rotors glaze and start squeeling....a set of stockers on my truck would be glazed in a week....I don't like braking and usually wait to do so at the last possible moment...hehe...braking wastes gas and waste money :D

RUQWKNF27 said:
How much did they set you back Zoliaster??? I imagine you just got replacement front rotors from Bear or maybe you did there whole front break set-up!!

About $300 (if I remember right) for the Baer Eradispeed 13" front rotors.

I've got the C5 vette caliper and rotor setup out front with the 12" disc conversion in the rear. :biggrin:

I'm currently running the Stainless Steel Brakes slotted rotors and matching pads (purchased as a set from Summit.) They work very well, better than the stock setup, but that is probably more due to the pads than the slotted rotors.

I've tried a few low-buck brake "upgrades" including :

-NAPA carbon-ceramic pads on stock rotors ('98 Silvarado). These *seemed* to work great but turned out to be *too* agressive and warped the stock rotors very quickly and very badly.

-Summit cross-drilled rotors and matching pads ('98 Silvarado) worked fine and were half the cost of new GM replacements. No problems on the street, but if you take a vehicle into the mud, *stay away from cross-drilled rotors*!!!! the holes will get packed with mud and greatly reduce stopping power until you clean them up. don't ask how I know :p

-NAPA carbon-ceramic pads on stock rotors ('87 GN hardtop-sold) exact same experience as the truck (I should have known better) they stopped GREAT! but instead of warping the rotors, the rotors cracked! :eek:

-Stillen cross-drilled rotors and matching pads (same '87 GN hardtop) again these worked great. Seemed like an improvement over stock. Never had any problems. These were thicker than the stock rotors which, althrough heavier, would make them less likely to warp or crack.

-currently running the Stainless Steel Brakes slotted rotors and matching pads on my '87 GN t-top. I'd say they were about the same as the Stillen cross-drilled as far as stopping power. But that's a "seat of the pants" measurement, not anything close to scientific.

As a side note, the Stillen cross-drilled looked virtually identical to the Summit cross-drilled rotors aside from the fact they were for two different vehicles. The holes were drilled the same way and the material looked identical with very similar imperfections, etc.

HTH