Sloppy front end

that guy

Just got my car up and running. Engine is strong!:biggrin: Wow those tires wear out fast!

Going to use some of my tax return to straighten up the front suspension. It is sloppier than a $5 hooker on sunday morning. Excessive steering wheel play, no front sway bar:confused: , looks like everything that has a grease fitting needs to be replaced.

Is this something that a regular shop can fix easily or should I take it to someone who deals with turbo regals?

I have already done most of the rear suspension myself as it is just bolt on stuff. I also replaced all 4 shocks and put the 3 braces under the front end.

I don't know much about the front suspension other than what the shocks and springs do. Any online resources available to tell me what everything does? Photo guides? I haven't replaced the body bushings yet, but I am sure that is gonna need to be done as well.

I don't wan't to lower the car, just tighten up the ride. Car is an occasional weekend cruiser, with an occasional trip to the track.

New control arm bushings make a world of difference. My 25K mile GN front end isn't anywhere near as tight as my 95K+ mile T-type with 5K miles on polygraphite bushings.

Control arm bushings, OK. Ummm, where do I find them and what do they do. I couldn't identify the control arm if there was $100 depending on it.

That's kind of my knowledge base when it comes to front suspension.

I would first start by installing a front swaybar and new end links. Do you have the stock swaybar? If you need one, I have a few laying around that need a home! I never could understand why people take these off. I would almost garauntee the rest of the parts are good. Just start here, it's cheap to buy a swaybar and endlinks and easy to install. Then see if it still seems loose. If that doesnt completely tighten it up, go with UNGN's idea and get polygraphite bushings or simpy MOOG replacements if you dont want to spend the money. If that doesnt do it, start looking for loose parts in the steering.

Control arm bushings, OK. Ummm, where do I find them and what do they do. I couldn't identify the control arm if there was $100 depending on it.

That's kind of my knowledge base when it comes to front suspension.

The right side upper control arm bushings get cooked by the downpipe (they are right underneath it).

Your front suspension has two arms that connect to the spindle. The one on top is the upper, the one on the bottom is the lower. Each arm has a Ball joint that attaches to the spindle (Upper and lower)

Each arm has 2 bushings where they are bolted to the frame (8 Bushings total). The material in these bushings wears out and causes the front end to feel loose.

Generally, when a front end is rebuilt, the bushings and ball joints are replaced, the inner and outer tie rod ends are replaced and the front end is aligned.

if the steering still has slop, it could be the idler or pitman arms or the rag joint on the steering or the steering gearbox is worn out.

Is this something that a regular shop can fix easily or should I take it to someone who deals with turbo regals?
Yes a regular shop can do this as there is nothing special about the front end. However you will probably want to take it to a shop that specializes in alignment or suspension as they will be able to get it done quicker and probably cheaper since they work on that kind of stuff every day.

A front end rebuild is not cheap though, so be prepared to shell out some dough, or get ready to do it yourself. Either way the payoff is big in having a car that goes in the direction you steer it, and doesn't wander all over the road.

Just got my car up and running. Engine is strong!:biggrin: Wow those tires wear out fast!

Going to use some of my tax return to straighten up the front suspension. It is sloppier than a $5 hooker on sunday morning. Excessive steering wheel play, no front sway bar:confused: , looks like everything that has a grease fitting needs to be replaced.

I have already done most of the rear suspension myself as it is just bolt on stuff. I also replaced all 4 shocks and put the 3 braces under the front end.

I don't know much about the front suspension other than what the shocks and springs do. Any online resources available to tell me what everything does? Photo guides? I haven't replaced the body bushings yet, but I am sure that is gonna need to be done as well.

I don't wan't to lower the car, just tighten up the ride. Car is an occasional weekend cruiser, with an occasional trip to the track.[/QUOT
For what you will pay for upper bushings you can get gbodyparts tubular uppers. I would replace idler arm centerlink.replace inner and outer tie rods and get aluminum sleeves. less flex. replace upper and lower ball joints. get moog parts. dont get cheap autozone parts. if it does not say problem solver on it it is not moog. If you never did a job like this it might take a while. I m sure you live near someone on this board that could help out. good luck

Anytime you take a swaybar off of our cars, the front is extremely loose. No need to get yourself all worked up about all of the other parts until you start by re-installing the swaybar and endlinks. It is an extremely easy job. Start here, drive the car to an alignment shop and get a free front end check to see if any other parts are worn. Just becuase there is grease all over them does not mean they are bad. They will check each component and tell you what is wrong or if everything is ok. Dont tell them your front end feels lose, they will change everything becuase they will know you dont know what you are talking about. Simply tell them you figured you'd have it checked because you do yearly. -----Jeremy