Sloooooooooooowly coming togther...

racemybuick

Hot Air Teacher/Student
literally peice by peice, my students are learning each component such as suspension, axle, differential, turbo and all that jazz!

I have been using my car as a focal point and motivator for the students, but any teaher can testify, the funds just arent there to support the hobby! The buick has taken the perverbial back seat to life, and my students remind me of this daily!

Here are some pix of a mock up the students did for a presentation to the new superintendent of schools, and some welding the students performed on the suspension...

As soon as the pot sand blaster arrives, the rear is being dropped and the guys will clean it up, sand it and paint it, as well as the tank straps and springs and the upper control arms will match the lowers. work in progress!!!

john;)

Attachments

• march 2011 200.jpg
    march 2011 200.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 308
  • march 2011 229.jpg
    march 2011 229.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 301
  • march 2011 211.jpg
    march 2011 211.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 305
  • march 2011 213.jpg
    march 2011 213.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 303
  • march 2011 221.jpg
    march 2011 221.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 296
Wish I had this this car to work on, in the 80's! Would have been so sweet, love the motor work your kids have done. Keep up the work teach.:D

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Here is our progress today... only 1 broken line!!! lol

John

Attachments

• march 14th 2011 009.jpg
    march 14th 2011 009.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 247
  • march 14th 2011 012.jpg
    march 14th 2011 012.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 242
  • march 14th 2011 013.jpg
    march 14th 2011 013.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 246
  • march 14th 2011 018.jpg
    march 14th 2011 018.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 239
  • march 14th 2011 024.jpg
    march 14th 2011 024.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 234
some more updates! the rear was sand balsted by my students, and the springs as well. The upper control arms are next, and then they will be "boxed".

The students are having a "blast" with the sand blaster!!! lol

John:cool:

Attachments

• buick on jack stands.jpg
    buick on jack stands.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 196
  • buick rear half sanded.jpg
    buick rear half sanded.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 194
  • buick rear sanded.jpg
    buick rear sanded.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 198
  • buick rear springs before and after.jpg
    buick rear springs before and after.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 195
a couple more...

The rear was painted using black VHT primer/paint with rust inhibitor, and the springs with red POR15, with rustolium rust preventor primer...

im hoping to have a whole new set of a-arms and uppers and lowers in the rear eventually, but for now, Im going to take them off and clean them up, paint them, and re-install them with the minor mods like boxing them or new bushings or whatever. The front are actually in decent shape, just need some paint! lol... That is next... :eek:

My students keep asking when the car is going to get painted.... lol... if only it were as simple as painting a rear! lol

John:cool:

Attachments

• buick rear spring before.jpg
    buick rear spring before.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 194
  • buick rear spring painted.jpg
    buick rear spring painted.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 197
  • buick rear painted.jpg
    buick rear painted.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 188
  • buick rear painted 2.jpg
    buick rear painted 2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 199
  • buick rear painted 3.jpg
    buick rear painted 3.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 193
Little paint goes a long way keep it up, looking good. Ahh so you have some of those wheels too.. I like those.

I havent seen any buick with these wheels yet... have you???? i want to see pix!!! lol... These rims came from a friend of mine, they were on an 86GN, but he hated them. im sending them to USA wheels in NJ to re-coat and chrome them... they were cheap as heck, and even cheaper to recoat!!!

john:cool:

I don't have any pics of them unfortunately it's all memory. Only difference was the set I saw were on a '67 Riviera named Creeping Death That's how they drew my attention, they looked like a regular Buick rally wheel at first, then you see the big differences. They were 15" 5x5 bolt circle and 10" wide on that Rivi, Think the owner said they were made by Konig.
Who brand made those?

Thanks John. And now that you mention it they were Enkie's. Glad to see another set out there. They look great on your TR.

I cant wait for the paint!!! This car will look sick... A friend of mine will be cleaning up the Enkies for me... Im also trying to find some turbo 6 emblems for the center caps... I thought that would top it off! lol

one step at a time... Rear is painted, springs are almost finished, and the upper control arms are going outside for blasting as soon as the weather permits!

John:biggrin:

Just an update, so far, all rear end components ave been sand blasted... Te swaybar and control arms will need to remain on the car until funds say differently! lol.. The springs and swaybar are now red, the diff and arms are all black with the arms boxed with some steel.

Pix will follow soon!!!

John:D

some more pix as promised!

John:D

Attachments

• rear diff painted springs and bar 1.jpg
    rear diff painted springs and bar 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 91
  • rear diff painted springs and bar 2.jpg
    rear diff painted springs and bar 2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 93
  • rear diff painted up close 1.jpg
    rear diff painted up close 1.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 97
  • rear diff painted up close 2.jpg
    rear diff painted up close 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 96
I got the students to take the drums and shoes and all that apart. I would like to find a set of aluminum drums for the car, but just dont have enough spare $$$ to toss at it right now... It needs everything on one side, shoes, springs, adjuster, all of it... For some reason, maybe where the car was parked down south, one side of the brakes was totally rusted, pitted, and gunked up. that was the passenger side. The driver side has no issues. Adjuster is still a nice gold looking color. But the passenger front brakes look identical to the driver front, and with the car on the lift, the driver side and passenger side look great. There is NO rust under this car, and just a tiny pair of bubbles showing on the inside of the door bottoms, which I think I will media blast and try to fill.

The front suspension will get the same treatment when I get the diff back in. Im getting a cheap chrome rear diff cover for now, until I can get the funds to go all out for aluminum. For now, just going to sand blast the arms, springs, and what not, new shocks, rea-assemble and hopefully the car goes off for paint this summer!!!!

The future plans are for a hollow swaybar up front, tubular arms with adjustable coil overs in the rear, and tubular arms up front with the drop spindles and springs... That will be the suspension upgrade... Paint is going 2-tone. As close to the original color on top (maybe a little candy in there), and black on the bottom, with a thin silver pinstripe in between, and a pair of flame licks in there rear dipping into the black... Just like the model dub city car!

Motor just needs a couple odda and ends to be all finished, and the rest is all $$$!!!!!

I still need: maf/translator, tt chip, alky kit, fuel and oil lines, radiator/fan, and some form of exhaust system after the 3 dump. Did I miss anything????

Charlie, the green tint was just from the crappy camera phone... I promise it is gloss black!!!

John:)