Slight Pulsating

PJracing

Hey I need help again. I'm feeling a ever so slight pulsating while at cruise speed. I pull in down into drive and its still there. Feels like it might be in the drive line. It's not like a tire problem, it feels back and forth not up and down ( if that makes any sense).

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Most likely the lock-up solenoid for the torque converter, HTH

Doug C.

Where and How do I fix it? Is it something I can do my self or does it have to go to a tranny shop?

Originally posted by PJracing
Hey I need help again. I'm feeling a ever so slight pulsating while at cruise speed. I pull in down into drive and its still there. Feels like it might be in the drive line. It's not like a tire problem, it feels back and forth not up and down ( if that makes any sense).

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Can you be more specific as to what you mean by pulsation? Does that mean vibration? Or surging at cruise?

Originally posted by PJracing
Slight surging.

Surging is usually attributed to the EGR system being bad or not up to snuff.

While the car is idling stick your fingers up under the EGR valve thingy and feel for the diaphram. Push the diapram up and notice if the valve closes quickly and cleanly. If it doesn't take it off and clean it. And check that the passage under it is clear of gaga. Oh and the car will (or at least should, stumble when you push up on the diaphram).

Apply vacuum to the hose going into it. The car should stumble. If it doesn't take it off and clean it and visually inspect it for a bad diaphram.

A code 32 will show if the EGR solenoid is bad. And there's a filter in the EGR solenoid that should be changed regularly.

Try those things and let us know if it helps.

The EGR valve isn't activated at idle or WOT so if this turns out to be your surging problem your ET wouldn't have been affected.

I solved a similiar problem with a new fuel filter and injector cleaner.mtc

EGR valve seems to be working fine, I'll take it off tomorrow and clean it anyway. I have a new fuel filter and new injectors on the car.

Do you have a scantool? Does the MAF crosscount all the way up to 255? At cruise it should or at least close. You might be getting some drop-outs. At such a light load level, the only thing I can think of is air/fuel problem. Is it like a hiccup? What kind of fuel are you using? Might want to run that tank out and fill up somewhere else, maybe toss a quart of xylene in for good measure. Then again, I probably have no idea what I'm talking about.

I have a scanmaster. I'm still trying to figure out everything its telling me! The car acts like it might be in the tranny but I'm not sure. It's a slight surging you can feel in the seat, that's the best way I can describe it.

My car started doing the same thing today, will cruzzing it feels like the car is pulsating, if I go l throttle it goes away, but if I go with a slow excellerate it chuges. What did you find out with your car..

I finally found the problem. I have a MAF/Translator and the base adjustment was too lean, once I richened it by 4% it went away.
Good luck.

I am having the same problem as people are describing here (it only occurs on very light cruising throttle). However, I do not have a MAF translator, mine is a stock rebuild. Scanmaster readings seem fine (I can double check the CC). Injectors are very new so I doubt they are clogged at all. Brand new tranny (and I think it did it on the old tranny a bit too, but I swear it is more pronounced now). The pulsation is slightly audible in engine/exhaust note too.
I guess it can't hurt to check that EGR valve...how do I get to that/where is it?

HEY JOHN LARKIN!!!

hey partner whats up me and my partner turbojorge went on a little scanmaster run and he told me that the car should be seing 255 afgs from the maf. so i gunned it in 3rd gear cruising and the car 2 times was only able to give me 230 & 235 is this bad if i cannot get up to those 255 needed, or is 235 fine the mods listed below is all i have with 15 psi of boost and 41-42 psi fuel pressure..
let me know whats the deal with this.....:)

I guess I will have to try what was mentioned above.

My car just started this problem today and the only three things I did were set boost, adjust fuel and gap plugs to .032

I will update everyone.

Thanks,
Bo

Yup, me too. Same problem. Funky while cruising, especially 45'ish to 60'ish. WOT, no problems. I thought it was my converter locking and unlocking. Whoever figures it out, PLEASE let us all know.:)

I've been chasing the same problem. I read in another post a little while back that someone had solved a similar problem by replacing the cam sensor/shaft. Apparently they wear over time and develop some play. I haven't had a chance to change mine yet.

That same post talked about BLM's being low and seemingly counting down. I also have this problem. BLM's start in the 120+/- range and eventually end up down in the 110 and below. It was recommended to drive the car until you notice the problem and then disconnect the cam sensor plug and drive the car to see if it solves the problem. I noticed a slight difference when I did this but it the surge didn't completely go away. I think my TCC solenoid maybe acting up along with the other problems. I just haven't had the time to really figure out the problem(s).

Good Luck,

Dave