sleeving the 109 block

Six_Silver

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) or comments about re-sleeving the cylinders on a 109 block? I have someone who is willing to use high quality 3/8" iron sleeves for a spare motor I have. He is a reputable machinist and has sleeved some of my friend's motors (big cubic inch high horsepower chevy and ford motors).

Is there any downsides to running sleeves, assuming they were properly installed?

Lets keep PRICE out of the question. It really isnt going to cost me anything since he owes me a favor.

Thanks guys. :cool:

Im not sure about the 109 blocks. My dad had his stage 2 block sleeved in 2 cylinders and we didn't have any problems with it. It ran well for a couple of years until we sold the car.

Im going to keep an eye on this thread becuase I have two 109 blocks that could use sleeves. I just haven't had time to mess with it.

Good Luck

No problem with a sleeve in a 109 block when done properly. We did this years ago in a 10 sec. motor and still going strong.

After sleeving the motor, should any oter machine work be performed such as the line bore? Im curious to see if the sleeve installing process will "tweak" the block requiring attention in certain areas.

Go for it!

Silver_Six:

You should not have a problem with sleeving the block. I have one that's sleeved and I would not be affraid to do it again. I had other work done along with this, but I don't see why a sleeve would "tweak" the block.

-Bobby

Re: Go for it!

Originally posted by Bmason
Silver_Six:
I had other work done along with this, but I don't see why a sleeve would "tweak" the block.

-Bobby
I am not familiar with the process of installing a sleeve. I was guessing that applying heat is involved and I know heat does strange things sometimes. I like to double check with you pros sometimes! :cool:

I high school I used to rebuild Model A's and Model T's,they were inline 4cylinders and we sleaved them ,,Sleve in the freezer and heat the hell out of the block...not sure if that is still the norm ...:)

A question to those of you who have sleeved a 109 block...

After sleeving, what is the potential bore size limit?

when sleeving leave a little step at the bottom of the cylinder for the sleeve to not go to deep.
As far as throwing off align honing , etc.

I know of quite a few people on the turbo v6's, small block chevy, mopar, etc. They actually torque the heads down and then do the machining to the block, says it "tweaks" it enough to make a difference.

Then some don't....I think it would cause distortion.

torque plates

I would for sure use a torque plate for all bore machining done to the block. I always wondered if running 200 degree water through a torque plate and block would give real driving stress to get perfect ring fit

sleeving street and strip engine

i'm having all 6 cylinders sleeved for strength in my 83 block, what size forged pistons can i use as i'm main girdling the engine also, looking to get an 11 sec. car if i can, high 11's

Hi,
Once again, I think you guys are nuts.We are dealing with a very basic motor here. Sleeving a block should be done only when there are no alternatives. Why would this be necessary, otherwise? I can find dozens of 109 blocks out there ,any day of the week. And I can consequently do with them as I will. Unless you are worried about matching numbers, why waste the effort? Am I missing something? Otherwise, I would say don't waste the effort. Opinions are usually rigid, so it's your call.

Because fixing one cylinder will be much cheaper than redoing an entire block.

ks

Because fixing one cylinder will be much cheaper than redoing an entire block.

ks

That may be true. But one guy at least, is talking about doing all six cylinders, and then after doing a line bore. If you can buy a used block, and just clean it up, surely that's cheaper and easier?