Sirius question, no signals (Hybrid T? can you help)

Boston GN

Finally finished my install of Sirius and given the advice of Hybrid, I put the antenna in the dash by the windshield. When I turn it on, keeps saying invalid station or no signal call 1800 sirius or whatever number it is.
Any ideas. I called them before thinking I had to activate it, but it's been activated this whole time. Am I going to have to stick this on the roof?

Do you have the adapter in line on the sirius antenna? you were doing a direct connect unit right? I think that unit came with an adapter that converts the green and curry colored ends to white and blue? as a test you could just hold the antenna outside of the vehicle and see if you get signal. I just installed sirius in my T and put the antenna where I told you to and I don't have any problems getting signal. let me know how it goes.

Adam

Now that's service!!!

Not sure what you mean by your terminology. I have an audiovox unit going to my alpine deck. I got the alpine adapter that converts AINet to RCA and then I wired in a switch for the interupt. The antenna I have has a white and a yellow connector and just plug into the "box" which I placed under my seat.
When I was orginally wiring it up, I had the antenna on my rear package tray and it still wasn't getting anything
Does this help any?

I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear, but it seems like a bad antenna maybe? Does the display read "acquiring signal" or something else? I would get the antenna loose and some length on the cable so you can trouble shoot the problem. Try holding the antenna outside the vehicle and make sure you're not in the garage. If that doesn't do anything find a scrap of sheet metal or something small that is sheet metal and attatch the antenna to it to see if it needs a ground plane. Does channel 184 come up?

Adam

Just went outside to see what comes up:

184 is on and starts out with "acquiring signal" then goes to "acquiring info" then says, call 1.888.xxxx to subscribe?

Every other valid channel just says Call Sirius 1.888 xxxx

Like I said, I called them before and they said I'm all set. Weird. May indeed be an antenna issue. I'll have to check out the sheet metal idea tomorrow. I don't feel like taking everything apart right now, lol.
Thanks Adam

You may just need to leave it on for a while outside for it to "refresh". Sorry that response took so long I had to work on my "honey do list". Keep me updated and we'll get it licked :) .

Adam

The problem weve always had with Sirius at my shop is the signal. Sirius seems to think that a 100% digital signal is far more superior to XM's digital to ground repeater signals. I think its all crap myself, Sirius sacrifices wide and strong coverage for bragging rights on "true digital" reception. The truth of the matter is, it all sounds the exact same to the human ear. Regardless, one thing you might want to do also is make sure that your serial number on your unit and the serial number on the box match each other, sounds lame, but weve actually seen that a few times where units didnt match, and the activation signal is sent to the wrong unit. As for the translator box, the newer units dont have that anymore, most all satelite units have converted to the single wire connection without the need of the translators, wich ironically just made the signal weaker. Dont viod out the possibility of a bad antenna, those things go bad in a heartbeat.

One more thing, depending on what part of the states your located, will depend on if the signal will work inside the vehicle on the dash. The more southern states have less satelite coverage, and are prone to more "black-outs". They say to keep a 20 degree clearence around all sides of the antenna, and at least 5 or 6 inches from any edge. remember, Sirius isnt like XM, Sirius antennas need a line-of-sight signal, making it difficult to get inside a vehicle.

I have had Sirius in my truck for over 2 years now, and never had a problem. The only time I lose my signal, is when I drive under a roof(car wash, bank drive-thru, or garage). My antenna is mounted on my roof, so that may make a difference! I have have numerous trips down south, and never lost my signal. Even driving though the Smokey Mountains where fm radio usually disappears my Sirius signal stayed strong!

I have a Sirius Kenwood unit in my truck and have only had a reception problem once or twice in a year. On the other hand my wife has an Audiovox unit in her SUV and I notice it fades out more often. (The antenna is mouted on her roof) Anyway since hers is one of those that has a docking unit, I bought the docking station for my GN so I can use it in there as well. Anyone have pics of their install so I can get some ideas about mounting the unit?