Signs of a Coil Pack, gone bad

HvyMtlV6

Past couple of days, i've been experiencing some pretty rough idling, seems to go away abit after i get the car going, had a friend that helped me check things out everything check out fine no codes, we tested the coil pack with a volt meter, but nothing registered..My question is "If the Coil Pack is going bad, would it cause the engine to idle abit rough?" any response is greatly appreciated :)

Joe C.

My car ran rough, i checked the coil resistance and it was within the good range. Bought a 87 module and coil and did the upgrade it helped my idle some but increased WOT performance alot. My 85 setup had over 200k miles on it so take that into consideration. I have read that just because the coil tower ohm out good that they could still be bad under load. HTH

Thanks for the reply, although by changing or should i say upgrading the coil pack, did you ever find out why your car is still idling rough or is it still, i've also read where it might be the tps, iac, maf sensor. Did you change spark plugs, sp wires also? just curious There has also been a suggestion of possibly of a blown head gasket, i'm not too sure how, cause i have never raced my car yet since i got it, never opened it up on the streets either, mostly my car is just a daily driver for me right now. i can't really build much boost, cause i'm still chasing a vacuum leak, have abit of a knocking problem,
as well, so i usually just take it easy when i'm driving, any other thoughts or possiblities, will be greatly appreciated :) thanks guys

Joe C.

Try pulling the IAC valve , which is located under the t body. Use carb cleaner to clean the carbon off the tip, then you may want to pull the iac housing and clean as well.

My headers are cracked and i have the original timing chain with over 200k on it and the orgiginal valve springs, so until i get those fixed anything else i do might not help.

85 ttypewh1 said:
My headers are cracked and i have the original timing chain with over 200k on it and the orgiginal valve springs, so until i get those fixed anything else i do might not help.
My car is the same, driver-side header cracked, orig. timing chain & valve springs, just over 100k and a few basic mods
1) Walbro fuel pump w/hotwire kit
2) Cat-back exhaust sys.
3) Adj. fuel press. reg.
4) Fuel press. gauge
5) Boost, water, oil & tach gauges

So basically my car is still pretty much stock for now ;) but its just abit wierd that my car was idling fine, then suddenly it starts idling rough after i put in gas, could it be maybe bad gas? :confused:

It could be bad gas, how much was in the tank b4 you filled it. Did it idle bad as soon as you left the gas station. The valve springs are suppose to be junk after 75k, bad design i guess. I REALLY need to do my t chain b4 it breaks. When i first start mine when cold it will idle fine for a few seconds then it will switch from high and low idle for a few minutes. After it is warm it idles fine which is why my problem is probably the iac getting stuck. Even after the poston drivers header swap i did today it still does it, i was hoping that was it messing with my a/f. But it does run faster with the Poston drivers header, cross over and uppipe. I need to get the pass header and dp welded.

85 ttypewh1 said:
It could be bad gas, how much was in the tank b4 you filled it. Did it idle bad as soon as you left the gas station.QUOTE]
roughly about 1/4 tank of gas, maybe less, car was running fine all the way up until that time :confused: oh well, i'll be changing out the fuel filter, spark plugs & wires, maybe even clean out the iac also - hopefully that will work, cross my fingers ;)

HvyMtlAnime said:
85 ttypewh1 said:
It could be bad gas, how much was in the tank b4 you filled it. Did it idle bad as soon as you left the gas station.QUOTE]
roughly about 1/4 tank of gas, maybe less, car was running fine all the way up until that time :confused: oh well, i'll be changing out the fuel filter, spark plugs & wires, maybe even clean out the iac also - hopefully that will work, cross my fingers ;)
this is EXACTLY what happened to my car, and im still chasing down the problem. i replaced the fuel pump... no change. thinking it was bad gas i drained the tank and refilled it... no change. then i found a burnt plug wire that had been hitting the downpipe so i replaced that... still no change

my car WAS running perfect, then i put about 4 - 5 gallons in it, and suddenly it started running like crap right after i started it back up at the station. if you ever come across a solution, please let me know

Just alittle update :D
I change all my spark plugs & wires, as well as the fuel filter, double checked around to see if there was anything loose, started up the car and it was idling fine, can't really say if one the spark plug wires had shorted out or the fuel filter was just clogged, but it doesn't hurt to go back to the basics and check :) hope that helps

p.s
Thanks Geoff :D