Side view mirrors, cables cut! how to mount?

turbohye

Nuclear Reactor
Trying to finish the car and since the paint job, the only thing cosmetically wrong with the car is the missing side view mirrors. (the actual mirror itself not the housing) During disassembly for paint and replacing the doors, i managed to break the cables that are used to adjust the mirrors...turns out they might have already been broken since the adjusting function never really worked. So now i have a question.. Now that i have mirrors that are designed to be held in place by the tension of the cables, how can i mount them now?
I have thought about JB Weld (not sure about this)
I thought about buying all new mirror assemblies (ill pass)
I thought about using TuffStuff (that stuff that you spray in walls and cracks) (not sure, just thought TuffStuff is cool)

Being money wise right now, i have to think on a budget and you guys have never let me down..otherwise, the car has been a blast to drive especially with the knock issue resolved. It really deserves to have mirrors and i really deserve to see around me, otherwise, everything to me is a blind spot. Again, feel free to provide me some suggestions that may work. I cant be the only TR owner that has had this happen. :)

I would get a different set of mirrors and use the guts out of them for your newly painted housings. You'll have a hard time mounting them up and making them stay and still be adjustable otherwise. Every 81-87 regal and cutlass had those mirrors the parts can't be that hard to come by. In fact I think Ihave 2 sets just laying here. Personally I'd convert the passenger side to a manual mirror, that long cable to the dashcluster is a pain to install and the adjustment never works right anyway. Manual or remote mirror assemblies were built for both driver and passenger side, time to hunt the boneyards for nice parts or put up a wanted post here, some of the guys who have parted multiple cars would let those go pretty darn cheap.

It looks to be about $12.50 via UPS. Not sure if I can get them safely into a USPS flat rate box or not. But, that should give you the basics.

PM me your address, I'll get them boxed up, ship em, and you can pay actual costs once I know what they are.