Should I upgrade headers

CS99

I have a set of Kirbans headers from the 1990's. They are stock appearing. Is there any benefit to upgrading to the ta performance headers? I have a weber stroked 109 block with a 6768 turbo and gn1 heads. Goal is 9.6-9.8 in quarter.

No gain. Probably gain a little going back to stock headers. Headers are not needed unless you are running faster than 10.00. Or if they are cracked beyond repair.

I've been researching this subject lately because I have my motor back out and will be going to TA heads this time. If I stay with the stock manifolds I want to coat them along with the down pipe. I have a great source close by for this and he's reasonable.

I see it 50/50 so far. Some say stick with the manifolds and the others swear by the TA headers.

I would love to see a back to back test. Haven't found anything proving any theories yet.

I'm not questioning anyones opinions but one factor I'm taking in to my build this time is not how fast the car will ET and MPH as to what boost/rpm/tune and risk factor I take getting there.

So in other words if I pick a 10.50 et goal. What parts combo gets me there with minimal risk and abuse to the car. If I have a slight edge and room to grow with the headers than I would probably get them. I never cared about how fast I can go on less as you can see in my sig.

Last edited:
the ta headers are a nice upgrade.the flanges are thicker as well.the stockers make a lot of power but just need to much tlc.the ta have been on my car for along time with no gaskets.you have to be really pushing things to see a gain.

the ta headers are a nice upgrade.the flanges are thicker as well.the stockers make a lot of power but just need to much tlc.the ta have been on my car for along time with no gaskets.you have to be really pushing things to see a gain.

I plan to let my car do the 1-2 shift on it's own and play with the 2-3 shift myself so I'm not sure where the sweet spot will be yet since I can't seem to keep and engine in this car long enough to get to the track.:confused:

I'm not too worried about my driver header cracking again, it's welded up nice and braced. If my shift point with my combo is 5600 rpm then maybe the stockers will work just fine? Maybe the advantage number is north of 6000 rpm which I doubt I will ever see.

After repairing the stock drivers header, the next weak link is the cross over pipe. At high power levels they crack ALOT. I've seen them crack over and over again. The material is very thin and there are a lot of real bad gouges from poor tooling that GM used. The flares crack, too. Other than that they will work fine deep in the 9 second zone. If the $$ won't kill ya.......buy the TA headers. But even they will eventually crack. In a turbo environment there are two types of headers........ Ones that have cracked, and ones that will.:p

Yes .I think I'll just keep the kirban headers that I have. Still good shape and have ceramic coating.. Thanks for all the info.

After repairing the stock drivers header, the next weak link is the cross over pipe. At high power levels they crack ALOT. I've seen them crack over and over again. The material is very thin and there are a lot of real bad gouges from poor tooling that GM used. The flares crack, too. Other than that they will work fine deep in the 9 second zone. If the $$ won't kill ya.......buy the TA headers. But even they will eventually crack. In a turbo environment there are two types of headers........ Ones that have cracked, and ones that will.:p

I have stock headers but my crossover pipe is a two piece deal made out of an aluminized material. Must have been changed somewhere down the line. I don't have any clamp at the joint just a slip fit which works but always baffled me.

I have stock headers but my crossover pipe is a two piece deal made out of an aluminized material. Must have been changed somewhere down the line. I don't have any clamp at the joint just a slip fit which works but always baffled me.

Sounds like a aftermarket CO pipe.