Should a shift kit be my next mod?

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
So far I have the engine running good, making lots of boost and I've addressed a few suspension issues, namely reinforcements. I still need to do rear control arm upgrades and a driveshaft loop so it'll hopefully hook up and go when I'm off at the races. (whenever that time comes) Of course I'm also on limited funds.

As of now I believe the trans to be stock. I don't think it has a shift kit in it. I have noticed on part throttle passes sometimes it will shift snappy as if one were installed but on a WOT pass it feels like there's some overlap felt between the shifts.

Anyways I see a lot of people praise the CK transmission kits. I've only used Trans GO and I did have one other hot rod that had a B&M installed in it.

1. Would now be the time for a shift kit? Even though i still have some traction issues to address?

2. Even though I have a BRF tranny, would I be wise to get the #24RSRK/B kit from CK performance? Or would the #24RSRK/A be more than sufficient?

(I believe the BRF comes with a bigger servo than other 200-4R's right? Does the #24RSRK/B come with an even bigger servo than the BRF from the factory?)

3. What makes CK performance kits better than say a Trans Go?

4. What's the level of ease or difficulty of installing a shift kit into a 200-4R? My only experience of installing a shift kit was into a TH350...IIRC it was a matter of dropping the valve body, changing out the springs in the valve body and installing a new separator plate with new check balls. Although I've never even pulled the pan off of a 200-4R, I'm wondering if there's any more difficulty than a TH350?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Our valve body kit is the most widely used for the Buick Grand National and all other 2004r transmissions.There is a reason.It works,it is the most comprehensive of its kind.What is needed to correct the real causes of hydraulic problems that result in friction element failure are in the kit.The kit is constantly being improved on on a regular basis and is installed in a minimum of 3 transmissions a week we build in the shop and then road test before sending them out to customers.This give us a means of understanding the kits purpose and function and allows us to constantly refine it.We include a custom seperator plate.The plate eliminates 2 holes that are counterproductive to third clutch life and resizes others to properly control oil flow to the friction elements and circuits.The kit allows tailoring of shift accumulation based on converter size and type and power output.New updates to the kit are the .555 throttle boost valve and .400 reverse intermediate boost valves.Includes a new pr sping,new line bias spring assortment,new accumulator valve spring,new GN governor spring,3/2 control valve mod now included as well as a bunch of other info.As for the servo it offers more clamping force than anything offered.3.005" diameter servo piston.This properly engineered piece completely eliminates 3/2 downshift clunk at coastdown,and will apply and hold the band with maximum clamping force applied to the intermediate band.The servo also eliminates the servo pin pushing and dragging the band on in 3rd gear.This is a desing flaw with the factory servo even though the direct accumulator is holding off the servo piston.The kit has 25 pages of instructions and usually can be installed in 1 hour and a half by a novice with common sense.Im not going to say Transgo products are poor because they are well engineered .We have just done alot more research and produced something that produces better results.

I rebuilt my 200 4r on my kitchen table with Chris(Ck) book and parts. It works great with absoloutly no complaints. It's the best trans Ive ever owned and does exactly as Chris says. Now if I could get that new engine rebuilt again.

Trans in my wife's car had an older Art Carr kit in it and it suuuuuucked. Just today I had Jimmy's install a CK plate kit with the 3-2 control valve mod and it's much better.

Questions on the CK Performance 2004R Recalibration Kit 24RSRK-A Installation:
Has anyone installed this kit? If so, I have a few questions: Chris718???

I was just looking over the kit and the instructions. I have a few quick questions and want to make sure of a few things:

1) The line bias valve: The new spring is .187" x .925" It looks to be very tightly wound and can not be compressed anymore, it looks to be a "extension" type spring. Is that correct?

2) Instruction:page10:
The 1-2 Accumulator setup has two options. (I'm going with option #1) In that option, only the new 1-2 spring is changed.
Everything else is the same. The spring and piston orientation stays as it was in the original setup. The .250 cap plug does NOT get installed because that it part of option #2. (I'm doing option #1) Correct?

3) Page 11:
3-4 Accumulator, everything get removed (Piston, pin, spring) and a .250 cap is installed. Correct?

4) On page 16:
Pressure regulator assembly: I'm replacing 223, 222, 219, ans 218. It looks like the kit comes with 221 and 220 (reverse boost valve and reverse valve bushing) Should these 221/220 parts also be installed at this time? I have no way to test reverse pressure readings. (What have you seen when installing these kits? Should I leave the 221/220 stock parts in? (All stock original low miles 1987 GN)

5) Page 17: After replacing the spring in the Intermediate servo, it states to put a "New" o-ring on the servo cap. No o-rings where in the kit. Does anyone know the correct o-ring size?

Thanks for your help Ken

I have some suggestions but to avoid my opinions from being taken the wrong way pm if you wish to have them. That said I want to thank Chris K and all the other professionals who post here and offer help. I have learned a LOT for each and every one of them and appreciate their input.

As far as the kit goes, giving chris at CK performance a call is probably the best way to get clarification.

As stated call CK to clarify, some things have changed in his kits I believe. If it is an original trans you might want to budget for a re build. Change all gaskets,clutches,steels,and thrust washers. Probably would be a good idea to get a billet drum and a servo at this time. Lots of good info on here.