Short but sweet....

mcad_c

I was driving back to my friends garage. A Z06 pull out behind me leaving KFC, so i jump on it a little. (leaky exhaust gasket sounded cool) Well he starts to come up on my left and I pull in front of him and punch it.

He follows along and darts down the right lane. He looks over and chuckles at me. Thats the first look I like to get from unsuspecting Corvette owners. I pull in behind him at about 60. We get to the next light, and I'm behind him. He pulls away hard and I'm right on his a$$. Fate has it we come up on the next light and it turns red.

He takes the right lane and I take the left. As I get along side of him he starts reving the engine and looks over at me, like, "how did you keep up with me?" The second, shocked look, from the surprised Corvette owner.

I put in second and wait for the light..........................

Green GO! I had him by a fender through first and second. I was watching the nose of his car bounce as he shifted from 1-2 and then it went down like he was done racing. I look down the road and saw a cop car. SHUT IT DOWN.

The cop passes and I'm in front of him by 3 car lengths now. I'm am not on the gas, and I'm waiting for him to pull up, but he keeps his distance. So I just cruise at the speed limit and he stays back.

I look at Kenny (passenger) and he says, "you had him through both gears"
Ahhhhhhhh.............adrenalin is a wonderful drug.

You got to love our low end torque.
That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

What is done on the GS? I hope a lot or I will have to call you one this one. Either that or it wasnt a ZO6.

If you car runs 13's its possible. Of course high 2nd and 3rd the ZO6 would rule

Cam & Springs
P&P Intake man., heads, exhaust man.
2.8" SC pulley
IC
3" downpipe, no-ubend or res.
CAI w/ 9" K&N
LSD

13.05 @ 105 last year.

I just rebuilt the tranny with 3.29 gears and added extra clutches. I alos am testing out a new PCM, reprogram by DHP.

I hope to run 12.8x this weekend. ;)

sorry man
that time is no where near enough for a Z06
they do 12.00s stock
in fact one at englishtown I saw that was bone stock ran to a 11.87
so sorry but I would have to call bull****, even if it is a C5 they do mid 12s so cant believe the story

Its very possible, the driver makes a huge difference from a stop, not all of them run 12.00s stock, I see a lot running 12.5-12.8, they are not at their full potential but thats how a lot of the drivers on the street drive them. Good kill, he probably would have pulled once 3rd hit for him, but thats still awesome to have that GS moving that quick.

I have never seen a z06 run 12.0 stock. The best run I have seen was with a fairly new z06 with long tube headers was 12.15 @115. Most i've seen are in the 12.5 to 13.0 range and that is with someone who has been down the track a more than a few times. Put an average driver behind the wheel of a z06 and I'd bet they would have trouble getting it in the 12s.

I have never seen a z06 run 12.0 stock. The best run I have seen was with a fairly new z06 with long tube headers was 12.15 @115. Most i've seen are in the 12.5 to 13.0 range and that is with someone who has been down the track a more than a few times. Put an average driver behind the wheel of a z06 and I'd bet they would have trouble getting it in the 12s.

I totally agree with Black6Pack on this one...I Havent seen any z-06's stock in the 11's...Most of the ones I have seen at RacewayPark Are Running around 12.70's-12-90's With trap speeds in the 110-114 Range..But I see guys down there running Mid 13's with them also..Like most Stick cars....Driver makes a Big diffrence..:p

Those Z06's in Englishtown aren't stock if they're running that fast. The fastest I've seen them run in Texas on drag radials is a 12.92 and on street tires low 13's. I've seen stock GTS Vipers run low 12's but not a Z06.:confused:

gnturboray no offense but those are the absolutely slowest times I have ever heard of for a Z06, dumb question but Im not good with geography, do you have any elevation there?

BLACK6PACK no offense to you either, not sure of your elevation either, but the average as I am aware of from the corvette guys is 12.3-12.7

I can say that the 11s is not a highly repeated act, however it is very possible stats wise, drivers wise who knows?

let put it in perspective here

a normal LS1 camaro is capable of a high 12sec 1/4 mile pass can we agree on that? it has to do with driver, but since one car can do it I would say every CAR has the potential, not every driver, it lays down roughly 300-310rwhp and weighs in at approximately 3433lbs say we estimate the high 12 at a 12.90 for argument sake and yes people have gotten lower like 12.7ish but when I think of a high 1/4 mile # I usually think of .90ish or so

anyway

the Z06 puts down 370rwhp 60-70rwhp more then the LS1
and it weighs in approximately 3100lbs 300lbs less and 60rwhp more roughly, thats enough for sub 12s
12.9-.3(300lbs)= 12.6-.7 (60rwhp roughly 70ish at the crank) 11.90

there you have it, now normal most people will never see this time, however if your even a have way decent driver I am sure a 12 quarter pass is cake in a car that fast, and they trap around 114-115 average

I invite you guys to check this list out

http://www.z06vette.com/quarter.php
in fact for sake of argument one car near the bottom ran a 11.88 @ 118 in texas
pretty damn fast to me

I'm going to say that a completely stock LS1 Camaro with a decent driver will run 13.5's, a superb driver, MAYBE 13.3's.

As for your equation for the Z06, those are rules of thumbs(1mph=.1s=100lbs), actual performance increase is normally less, also you didnt take into effect the aerodynamic drag coeff., or more importantly, gearing... I will estimate the maximum of a showroom stock Z06 at 12.2s(with an incredible driver).

Just some of my logic :)

no offense but have you taken a look at the website with posted timeslips?

yes they are a rule of thumb I agree on that
the gearing of the Z06 is very wicked and even in chevys own test of their car did they get a 12.3,

"I'm going to say that a completely stock LS1 Camaro with a decent driver will run 13.5's, a superb driver, MAYBE 13.3's. "
I really dont see whats so hard to believe, a normal driver will pull of the mid to low 13s a great one will get 12s
these are all proven times

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/lubrant.html

here check this out
it says a GN weighing 3500lbs that runs an 11 sec time between .99 and .78 would be about 115 which the Z06 traps at
it also estimates the horsepower to be between 401 and 422
now the Z06 has 405 at the crank, granted it doesnt have the torque that a 11 sec GN would, but it has 300lbs less then that example weighing at 3500lbs

Car and driver

I believe it was last months Car and Driver or Road and Track when they put a Z06, a 350Z, a BMW M3, and a Porsche through the wringer. They squeezed, I believe it was, a 12.6 out of the Vette, which, of course, was a professional driver and four to six runs down the strip. A buddy of mine up north got a Z06 last year and he said the thing he hates about it the most is the shifter. I suppose if you had a new Vette owner and he wasn't that good at shifting he'd probably run a 13.0 to a 13.2, BUT you also have to consider this; the run described above wasn't a full 1/4 mile run, it sounds to me more like an eighth. The Vette isn't going to start taking up lost ground until 60 to 70 MPH, then it will come into it's own. Could the kill have happened? Of course! Just look at the circumstances. -T:D

"Could the kill have happened? Of course! Just look at the circumstances. -T"

I understand what you mean about the circumstances
however, unless those mods can get that GS to 60mph in less then 4 seconds, they wont have the Vette beat, it also gets to 100mph in 9.5
I would say the 1/8th mile would come around high 80s
so you do the math

Carl

Cleaner, I dont know how many times you have been to the track, but for every guy that has run 12.0 in a stock ZO6, about 5000 have run mid 12's. IRS and a six speed are TOUGH to launch unless you know WTF you are doing. Then the guy is on street tires. Add the fact that this is on the street and there is NO WAY a stock ZO6 runs 12's on the street.

Get a Gtech pro once and you will see the drop offs between track times and street times. It is usually a half second due to traction alone. Plus the GS is going to be more consistent launch after launch than the Vette.

Finally that is one bad GS. 13.05 on a SC 3.8 is flyin. The fastest ones in the country are running 11.99's and low to mid 12's.

Dont believe everything you see on bulletin boards. For every best pass a given car has, there are dozens and dozens of slower passes.

If you believe everything on the boards, everyone on this board is running 10's and 11's:rolleyes:

What BlackBuick87 said. My inexperienced friend had a C5 automatic with an intake, cat back and chip. Best he could do was 13.3. With experience I'd say 13 flat or high 12s.

Originally posted by Cleaner13
"Could the kill have happened? Of course! Just look at the circumstances. -T"

I understand what you mean about the circumstances
however, unless those mods can get that GS to 60mph in less then 4 seconds, they wont have the Vette beat, it also gets to 100mph in 9.5
I would say the 1/8th mile would come around high 80s
so you do the math

Carl
FYI
My car did 84MPH in the 1/8th before the gears and tranny mods. That was at the Buick eastern regionals last fall. ;)

Z06

My son, J-ROD, who is a member of this forum, has an '02 Z06 that is completely stock, down to the paper air filter. He has run a best of 11.93 on the stock radials (F1's). With ET Streets and the lid removed from the air box, he has consistently run 11.59 @ 118 mph. I saw the time slip and witnessed his runs. It does, admittedly, take much practice.