Shifting woes, post shift kit install.

mike85gn

Get Bent!
Hello everyone, I just finished the installation of a B&M shift improver kit (street/strip mode) and now it shifts great. Well, at WOT or hard on the gas, it does, anyways. Under normal driving, it takes quite a few rpm before the trans shifts into second, and I carry it through to third and have to let off of the gas to get it to actually make the 2-3 shift. It won't shift into OD until 60 mph. Is there some way to adjust this? I love how sharp the shifts are, nice and crisp, but not harsh, but it's kind of hard to daily drive like this all of the time. It'll probably kill my gas mileage with the amount of RPM needed to shift. The trans, btw, is in excellent condition - upon removal of the valve body, everything is intact and clean, there were no shavings or anything. Internally, it looks great, it was just a slow shifter. TV adjustment and the shift kit made all of the difference in the world, but I'd like to know if the B&M rep was BS'ing me when they said it's normal for some odd behavior for the first few hundred miles and while cold while the springs wear themselves to their proper operating point.

Also, I'm getting some clunking upon acceleration/deceleration and on some shifts. My mechanic says it's pinion backlash, and it does seem to be coming from the rear. Is this possible? Any other possibilities? Checked U-joints and torque converter bolts - they were fine.

Thanks,
Mike

Originally posted by mike85gn
but I'd like to know if the B&M rep was BS'ing me when they said it's normal for some odd behavior for the first few hundred miles and while cold while the springs wear themselves to their proper operating point.

That statement amounts to a large load of horse doody.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the B&M kit, however, knowing springs and transmissions, I'd say that the current behavior of your transmission is not going to correct itself.

Sounds as if something has got your TV pressure curve out of whack.

Re: Re: Shifting woes, post shift kit install.

Originally posted by MeanBuicks

but I'd like to know if the B&M rep was BS'ing me when they said it's normal for some odd behavior for the first few hundred miles and while cold while the springs wear themselves to their proper operating point.

That statement amounts to a large load of horse doody.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the B&M kit, however, knowing springs and transmissions, I'd say that the current behavior of your transmission is not going to correct itself.

Sounds as if something has got your TV pressure curve out of whack.

That is whacked!!!!

unlike the human body....they will not fix themselves..... they do not need to brake in or temp to work correctly.

Thanks Greg for all the help.... I owe you...

Bruce
WE4

After i installed the same shift kit i experienced the same problem. B & M also said after a few miles or so the trans should shift alot better. Well i installed this kit about a year and a half ago and still the same sh*t. If theres no fix for this problem i'm just going to get it rebuilt. If there is a cure or sombody has corrected this problem please post your solution.

Thanks.

Did the kit change the tv spring? Did it have a spacer for the tv spring? If yes to either of those go back and change tv spring to stock. You can do it easily in car.

Bruce
WE4
www.ptsnctb.com

Wow, wierdest thing. Now the car maintains nice, smooth, crisp shifting through the gears (rips 'em in second:)) but the delay with the shifting seems to have vanished. Really wierd. The let-off-the-gas-2-3-shift problem is gone now, it is very linear and feels very strong. xtremexnyc - I would consider the fact that mayhaps it will need a rebuild. The rep I spoke to specifically told me that the success rate is not 100% unless the tranny is.