SG1 block?

turbo87regal

Just wondering if anyone here can answer a question as to what the SG1 casting on the side of a 109 block means:confused: Are these blocks any better or worse than the typical block found in turbo Buicks. The main caps are a little different as they have some ribs on the sides to identify #2 and 3 caps from what I can tell.

I was told that blocks with the SG1 casting number on the sides are either from a TTA or were crate motors.

The SG1 cast into the side of the block, like you mentioned indicates it was a replacement or crate engine or may have been from the Pontiac T/A.

If there isn't a vin number stamped on the starter pad that would indicate it was never installed from the factory.

The lifter valley drain holes also were drilled instead of cast into the block.

Here is a link for some pictures and a little more info on them.

Buick V6 Engine Block Guide

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like the info I was given was fairly accurate. I just figured I would ask to make sure since my searches on the boards turned up with nothing for some reason:rolleyes:

if it has "SG1" cast in the side, that means that engine was developed at area 51 under the watch of the folks at Stargate Command..

I bought one in the junkyard.... that was a replacement engine for a carb'd car.... still had the distributor and blue carb'd intake on it......with black valve covers that said GM crate engine or something.... the sticker was almost gone...

Shh..... don't tell anyone.... but most SG1 motrors... if not all..... have the desireable rolled fillet (rods and mains) turbo crank in them.

My current buildup if I can ever get it in the car.... is based on my SG1 block.....

HTH