Settings with ME and 42# inj

turboost

I know they will all be different but I just wanted to compare what others' settings are with what mods and boost levels. Just the main settings like spool up, cruise fuel, offset, 0-4000, etc. My car isn't running up to its potential so I thought I could use some help. Thanks

Been awhile but I think I had cruise around 96-110.

0-4000 I usually ran about 6 numbers leaner and one number leaner on the spool up.

The usual note of caution...you need a good scan tool, knock alarm at a minimum before you get too wild (lean) from the defaults.....an EGT is of help as well.

It should run quite well on the defaults as Steve has them pretty well knocked other than the cruise is usually a bit rich.

I bought mine used. It was made for a turbo a bigger than mine along with a different IC and some other things. The reason I ask is b/c the offset was 0 and the 0-4000 was a 10. These numbers seem a bit lean. I would get all kinds of knock on spool up. I bumped the 0-4000 up to 20 and don't have any problems with spool up any more. I thought if I had to make that big of an adjustment there would be other parameters way off for my set up. Any others?

Defaults and position F which is 20* timing and full fueling.

Alky. of course and 24psi.

Bosch 43 injectors NOT 009's.

I'd talk to Steve Y. too, your best bet. :)

The offset needs to be 0 because you can get full fuel out of pos's 7 or F.

The FP needs to be 46-48....try 46.

Start on a rich setting and get the boost where you want it and start coming back on the thumbwheel.

You can fool around and add 20 to 0-4000 and see what happens.

Pos's 1-7 are purposely made anemic for pump gas, pos's 8-F should have race fuel.

If you have a Precision housing you may want to consider a Garret .63

With alcohol injection and pump gas I would click back to pos 1 or 2 and turn the boost to 24.
Make sure you have a ton of alcohol going in to start with and turn it back a little if need be.
Forget 02 just pay attention to KR.
You are not going to set records on pos's 1-7, but the goal is to run good on low octane and live.

Thumbwheeling richer to try to eliminate detonion on pump gas doesn't seem to work very well. More alcohol is the cure for detonation, and you can lean the gas out.

Let me know how you make out.

Steve

With the default settings, the FP 46# line off, and 21lbs boost with a 93/110 mix and alcohol the car would almost die when reaching the top of 2nd gear. It would come back to life and then do it again in 3rd gear. The knock count was 0 and this was on positions 6-F. I turned the FP upto 50# and it helped a little but the car would still mph low (102-104mph).

The car seemed to feel quite a bit better by adding 10 to the 0-4000 but thats the only thing I have done since which got me thinking about if my defaults were too lean for my combo. I also bumped my offset up to 32. Are these injectors known for being difficult to tune?

BTW my chip has 18*/24* timing. What are the injector duty cycles for the positions. Thanks

Well that thing should flood right out with alcohol even on the leanest settings, 8 or 9, providing your fuel pump keeps up.

Check the FP and see if it keeps up.

You probably need more boost.

I guarentee you that with that turbo and 21 PSI of boost pos F is way too much fuel without alcohol.

You do have the screens out of the stock maf, yes?

If it were mine I would be running 24 psi.

42's are easy to tune. Lucas 009's, yes?

It really sounds like it is falling flat on it's face overrich, try the leaner settings and manipulate the alcohol flow.

If that doesn't get it then I would start looking elsewhere for problems.

Steve

Yes they are 009s. FP rises 1# per 1psi of boost and doesn't drop pressure after turning off the car for a couple of hours. I ran all the way up to 25psi on pos A and only trapped 105mph. The car has made some popping noises at WOT which I thought were b/c of a lean condition.

I am thinking about getting a new o2 to check for richness. The car is rich at idle but spools up pretty quickly. I get terrible mpg, about 150 to a tank with mostly highway driving. The screens are removed.

The car has been 112mph before installing these injectors so I am pretty sure the pump is supplying enough. Another thing is there is no difference in trap speeds with the converter locked in 2nd, 3rd, or not at all. Does this mean anything.

I would turn the boost to 25 and put the TW on 9.

Then start diluting the alcohol it with up to 50% water to lean it out.

In my car with a 63 turbo I run less gasoline than you do and mix 40% water with 60% methanol and run 116-117mph. I have 42's and the thumbwheel positions are all set leaner.

As far as your idle fuel and gas milage you have control over that.

Turn the idle down a couple numbers and drop the cruz fuel to 100 and see if that helps. If it get's a little hesitant , then go up a couple numbers.

Steve

Thanks for the help Steve. I'll have to wait for my next track visit to give all of this a try but I really appreciate the help.

One more question....could I turn the fuel pressure down to say 38# to help with mpg but go higher on the offsett for an occassional WOT blast? Just wondering if ths could be an alternative, not for racing but street driving only.

No problem, I like to help :)

The PW is maxed out on 7 or F so manipulating the offset will be useless.

I would leave the FP at 46 or other problems will arise. Actually 44 line off will probably be OK and once you put it wherever you tune around it and never touch it again.

Use the programmable adjustments, pos 0 idle and pos 5 cruising fuel to address the rich idle and poor gas milage.

Take the idle down 2 or 3 and take the cruise fuel down to 100 and see if that helps at a steady cruise. You may be surprised.

Good luck,

Steve