Setting up a Grand National photo shoot

Carr

Cinematographer
I been knocking around an idea of setting up a photo shoot of two GN's in the middle of Times Square in New York City. I shot two short films in times square and seeing that film permits are very easy to get from the mayor's office of film in NY, I think it would cool to setup a little photo shoot one night in june. What I need is two Grand Nationals for the shoot. I would used mine as one, but I will be renting a truck for the 2k lights, 1k lights open face lights, c stands, screenies, Arriflex sr2 16mm motion picture camera (filming some B roll) two rolls of Kodak 500t film stock, Minolta x 700 35mm still camera and of course a generator. Also I'm requesting two police officers to block traffic when needed and keep people away from the block were shooting.

Guide lines are.
The Film permit will have a whole block closed off, EXCEPT walk ways. There are two ways to get by that through. one is to set up cones to create a new walk way, or block the people from walking during takes (cops or my crew will handle that).
Need to know who is coming and their GN's for the shoot. (just a head count of people and licensee plate so the police can give out the permit tag for that car and stop traffic for that car to park on that block.) now you can't get a permit for vehicles unless it's an equipment truck or a prop, so non GNs used in the shoot will have to park in a garage near by.
I need to know how many people are coming at least two weeks in advance of the shoot because the mayor's office of film prefers to know about film shoots (including amount of people involved) in times square two weeks in advance of the shoot.
I have to list my equipment for the shoot also when filling out the permit (for film insurance reasons) but anyone can bring their cameras and take pictures.

I believe that's everything for now, its been a while since I shot anything in Times Square. just need to know who would like to come to the shoot and who would like their GN's for the shoot. You can reply to this or sent a pm if your interested.

This sounds like a cool idea. I would be interested, but need to know more info like what day and time of the week because of job prioritys. I would think a Monday or Tuesday night would be best as later in the week the traffic gets crazy in NYC. Keep us posted. Here's a couple photos of my GN for consideration.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 279
That looks nice and clean, it would work well for the shoot. The reason I haven't set a date and time yet is because in the month of June, I'll be Director of Photography for two short films back to back. So I'm trying to shoot for end of june, one night between the 26-30th. or maybe early july if I get work on another film.

Thanks. Actually, when I took these photos late last year, it hadn't even been waxed yet! I just had the car repainted last year and i've been afraid to wax it! Still not sure which wax to use yet but it'll be waxed soon as I can only imagine what she'll look like after being waxed. I'll post new pics after waxing it.

Ken

I'm the same way with wax, especially because the body shop did a piss poor job on my GN, then went out of business before I could get them to fix it all of it. :mad: I like any of the mcguire's waxes, they work out well.