Setting cam sensor. How do you find 25°?

Dave Dunbar

I have seen the tape method, seems kind of crude. Does it work? And if so, what is the spec for the length?
Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Cam Sensor Adjustment Procedure
1. Measure on a piece of masking tape and mark it at 1.45" and tape it to the Balancer at 0 degrees.
2. Bring #1 to TDC and then grab the intercooler fan and rotate the motor to your mark (25 degrees ATDC). This takes a little patience and muscle. You can try bumping it with the starter, but I'm never very successful at that.
3. Back probe the middle wire of the cam sensor (marked B and normally blue) with a voltmeter. Turn the key ON, but leave the engine OFF.
4. Loosen the sensor with a distributor wrench or a wobble socket and extension.
5. Rotate the sensor full CLOCKWISE. The voltmeter should read 7.5+ volts.
6. Slowly rotate the sensor COUNTER clockwise until the voltage drops.
7. Secure the sensor at the instant the voltage drops.

More info here: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/camsensor.html and yes, it works.

Remember, it's ATDC so with the tape at zero, your "mark" will be over the top of the balancer towards the pass fender (to the left) when looking from the front.

You can also use the tape on the balancer method and buy a cam sensor tool, no need to do anything with wiring other then plug and play.

If you ever have the balancer off that is a great time to mark it out precisely, cut a notch there with a hacksaw, and paint it with a paint marker for visibility.

1381024004000.jpg

i have a printout somewhere of the official GM procedure for setting the cam sensor... it's painfully easy...
but i have no idea where that particular piece of paper is...

You can buy a Casper's tool which will come with a small piece of paper of where to place and mark the 25* marking.
Once you have the harmonic removed and as mention before you can cut the new 25* marking on the harmonic, paint it white, and then spray clear coat as I did on the photo.
Here is another site of the cam sensor adjustment as well as making the new 25*ATDC marking
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm

Attachments

• Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 274
And make sure you are at true TDC and not 180 deg out

I agree. I just found out yesterday that it'll run that way but idle is poor and it'll tip in stumble....

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app

I agree. I just found out yesterday that it'll run that way but idle is poor and it'll tip in stumble....

Sent from my LGL75C using TurboBuick Mobile mobile app
My car does this! I have to remove my turbo to change a gasket so I'll check it when its easier to get at. Thanks Guys!

Sent from my A110