set-up question

ledzeppac

I want to build a box that would look a little better than the pre-fabbed one I have shoved on the deck.

Now I know there is a scientific way of measuring the box dimensions for specific frequencies. But, do I really need to do any of that? Can I just build one to my desired size and leave it at that?

Ideally I would like to wall of the rear shelf and mount the amps on top of the box. But I dont want to build floors or anything like that. Any ideas on how I should go about doing so?

Pansonic hu
Kicker compvr 10 inch sub
Alpine mono amp

I'm going to buy
Alpine PDX 150.2
Memphis M class Msync 5.25 ounted coaxly (if they fit)

this is what i do when a customer walks in and wants some bass/box/system.

1)I ask these questions first - what kind of music most played? how much room can box use? how much bass and /or how loud do you want to play it? average amount of time will be played (at what volume level)?

2)then measure the amount of space the box is allowed to take.

3)then i will recommend a system custom tailored to the customers needs and recommended the size of speaker(s).

question one tells me whether the customer likes/needs deep boomy bass or a tight hard hitting bass (rock,jazz or rap,country music) in the end it usually tells me to go with a sealed or ported enclosure.the length of time tells me how hard to load an amp keeping thermal overload in check.even class d amps loaded down and played for hours at thier limit will get hot.also to see if a gell cell battery/alt build up is needed.

question two will determine the amount of airspace the box will have and combined with the answer of question one the woofer(s) size ie; 10",12",etc. and model to preform the needed requirements.

a custom box will not only look,be built better,but give you a chance to get the sound you are looking for.ive always belived that a perfect sounding system is NOT what i want,but what the customer wants.
if you are going through the trouble to build a box,do it right,answer these questions for yourself,after chosing the right woofer for you, it will pay off in the end.

also try to aviod mounting amps or electronics directally to a subwoofer enclosure,when an amp gets warm and combined with the vibration of an box,theres a chance for damage.isolate amps/electronics with rubber bushings,dynamat,etc.

keep in mind there are a million different ways to approch system design,and these are some simple guidlines to help you along.

What he said!

If you just "build a box" and stick your woofer in it, you could be highly upset. When a woofer is built it has a specific set of measurable parms. Those parms tells you how the woofer will perform. Based on those parm measurements, your box can be built and with some certainty you will know how it will preform. Physics don't lie.

It's all about the application. You wouldn't stick you Buick motor in bus, would you? Or put a Cat dozer motor in your car.
John

I just finished the system on my 87GN yesterday. I just installed a Kenwood KAC 745 4ch for the interior. I don't have the concert sound so I have four pioneer speakers inside 4in and 4x10in stock replacement sizes/locations. I have pioneer 760w 2ch bridged to a single kicker cvr10 in a sealed truck box. I had a huge pioneer dual twelve sub box that was taking up almost the entire trunk. If I ever wanted to use the trunk it had to go. The truck box fits neatly on the upper hump in the trunk and the two amps are mounted flat beside it. The system is awesome. I have never had such a balanced sound. It is not bone-rattling bass, but the sound quality is better than expected and it has enough volume that you can feel it. The cvr10 really hits when you put the juice to it even in a small box. So the moral of this story is that if you look around enough you may find something already made that can fit your needs and save you lots of time and money.

this is what i do when a customer walks in and wants some bass/box/system.

1)I ask these questions first - what kind of music most played? how much room can box use? how much bass and /or how loud do you want to play it? average amount of time will be played (at what volume level)?

2)then measure the amount of space the box is allowed to take.

3)then i will recommend a system custom tailored to the customers needs and recommended the size of speaker(s).

question one tells me whether the customer likes/needs deep boomy bass or a tight hard hitting bass (rock,jazz or rap,country music) in the end it usually tells me to go with a sealed or ported enclosure.the length of time tells me how hard to load an amp keeping thermal overload in check.even class d amps loaded down and played for hours at thier limit will get hot.also to see if a gell cell battery/alt build up is needed.

question two will determine the amount of airspace the box will have and combined with the answer of question one the woofer(s) size ie; 10",12",etc. and model to preform the needed requirements.

a custom box will not only look,be built better,but give you a chance to get the sound you are looking for.ive always belived that a perfect sounding system is NOT what i want,but what the customer wants.
if you are going through the trouble to build a box,do it right,answer these questions for yourself,after chosing the right woofer for you, it will pay off in the end.

also try to aviod mounting amps or electronics directally to a subwoofer enclosure,when an amp gets warm and combined with the vibration of an box,theres a chance for damage.isolate amps/electronics with rubber bushings,dynamat,etc.

keep in mind there are a million different ways to approch system design,and these are some simple guidlines to help you along.

ok that makes sense. I listen to rock, ledzeppelin, black sabbath, iron maiden etc.. I don't like overpowering bass, I only have 2 rap songs. I listen to music in the car for maybe an hour a day. I already have a kicker compvr 10" powered by an Alpine d450.

Front comps would be memphis mclass powered by alpine pdx 150.2

I want the house both amps and box on the rear shelf. Hidden if possible by a wall, maybe.

So, what dimensions should I work for? What kind of layout should I consider with the amps? I dont want anything crazy, complicated, or showcar worthy. Just clean, hidden, and simple....

Thank you
Phil

ok,i recommend a small sealed enclosure,since its only one 10'' the box is going to be small.ironically the post before this one, is about the setup you are looking at.he used a small truck box,i would try to find or build a small sealed enclosure about .75 to 1 cuft.
maybe build a amp rack (simple flat carpeted wood panel,1/2 plywood)and carpet to match trunk liner and mount behind seat then put woofer box on the hump.
this small enclosure will shine on music such as hard rock etc,and its big enough to do well with other music too.one cubic foot box is 12" square (of course;) )so make it alittle bigger say 1.2 cu ft so you can take into account the amount of internal volume the woofer will take up and the amount the actual material you make the box out of.
use 3/4'' hdf ,screw together,cauck seams,and put alittle polly fill (pillow making material)on the back side of the box,this will "trick" the woofer into thinking its in a larger enclosure,and help out on the two rap songs you have;) .

Maybe this will spark some idea's for you.............

267942_62_full.jpg

If you want the specifics of the system setup, go here... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/267942/2 ..... and feel free to email or PM me with any questions. HTH

ok,i recommend a small sealed enclosure,since its only one 10'' the box is going to be small.ironically the post before this one, is about the setup you are looking at.he used a small truck box,i would try to find or build a small sealed enclosure about .75 to 1 cuft.
maybe build a amp rack (simple flat carpeted wood panel,1/2 plywood)and carpet to match trunk liner and mount behind seat then put woofer box on the hump.
this small enclosure will shine on music such as hard rock etc,and its big enough to do well with other music too.one cubic foot box is 12" square (of course;) )so make it alittle bigger say 1.2 cu ft so you can take into account the amount of internal volume the woofer will take up and the amount the actual material you make the box out of.
use 3/4'' hdf ,screw together,cauck seams,and put alittle polly fill (pillow making material)on the back side of the box,this will "trick" the woofer into thinking its in a larger enclosure,and help out on the two rap songs you have;) .

ok so 12x12 x12, but slightly bigger.
Still trying to figure out how to seal it all off. The picture helps, I might just copy and mount the amps on the inside.