serpentine belt tensioner?

joemama

Nice Monte is that an SS
Does anyone know if the dealer or any aftermarket parts places sell this damn thing???? I've checked at pep boys, auto zone, etc.... and they only offer the pulley for the tesioner. Just checking to see if somebody knows whats up.

its available
gates makes it aftermarket
so it is available,but GM still has it

GM part #(25526387)
try gmpartsdirect.com

scratch that about gates , i had seen it listed (or could swear I did ) , when i was searching through their catalog for greenstripe turbo hoses I downloaded and browsed through their catalogs and could swear in a block listing was the tensioner for the 86-7 3.8 GN and I even searched for price (approx jobber cost 49.00) . it was a great tensioner design but couldnt locate it tonight , just the pulley came up.

GMPARTSDIRECT.com still shows the part

Most likely just the bearing has gone south. Its a common bearing and can easily be re-placed. I've seen a thread on this before. DO a search. If you want a new one, I believe Postons has it.

I am getting a clicking noise somewhere in the serpentine set up. I put a stethescope on all the pulleys and in my opinion I needed a new Tensioner pulley. Removed the pulley and bearing felt fine. Replaced it anyway. Still have the noise. I don't know what the deal is. My next step is to replace the tensioner.:confused:

You might want to try replacing the belt. The stock belt can stretch and become too long. I've heard people say the the Tensioner then makes intermittent contact that causes a clicking sound. The GNTTYPE.org site lists a belt (i believe for the TTA) that is slightly shorter than the GN belt that solves this problem.

HTH
David

get the goodyear gatorback belt .
I had similar problem on mine and was ready to tear apart front cover . even with a new belt from dayco it was still ticking (bouncing) and was audibly knocking at low idle , it seemed stock replacement was a bit too long putting tensioner almost at it limit with little tension and the cheap belt didnt help ,dont beleive it was consistent tenion all around the belt , try autozone.com for the #4060635 shorter belt (24.99)

I replaced the belt with the goodyear gatorback belt and the noise is gone. Thank you all for the info. Damn that belt is fun to change with the stock intercooler after you have driven 30 minutes with the ac on. Guess thats one more reason to change to a front mount.