Serpentine Belt Tensioner -Rattles- $75

Sagecoach

Would work well on a race car with open exhaust, or may possibly be repaired or rebuilt (???)
Rattles at idle after warming up. You can't hear any noise while driving (but your knock sensor can).
Otherwise works perfectly. I bought it used on the internet and paid $175 plus shipping for it. Was supposedly from a low-mileage GN.
I have discovered that this is a common problem with the used ones. I went through 3 of them until a found a good one (used the old one that I removed from my race car). DON'T EVER buy a used one unless you hear it run on the car!!
This is not for a street car unless you know someone who can rebuild it. $75 shipped.

Attachments

• Buick tensioner 1.jpg
    Buick tensioner 1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51
  • Buick tensioner 2.jpg
    Buick tensioner 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 47
You sure you have the proper length belt. It will rattle with too long of a belt. Theres a window on the side of the tensioner fixed body the that the line on the arm should be in. Many parts stores have the wrong length belt listed.

Tried 3 different belt lengths. No difference. Also the pin is sticking through the window.
Just got an idea. What is the diameter of a factory gn alternator pulley? Measured from the outside rim not the inside slot where the belt rides.

Another thing I have seen is the threaded flats welded on on the bracket where the long bolts that go through the ac compressor have came loose and can rattle. If you have tried different belt lengths and its on the window of ops I doubt the pulley is going to change anything.

Ac brackets are good. I replaced the compressor with a new one trying to find the rattle (at the time I thought surely I .couldn't have TWO tensioners that were bad)
From the old posts here I understand that our cars came with a 63" belt and somewhere along the line the parts houses made a mistake and specified a 64" belt as the replacement. If so, after 30 years most of us are running a 64" belt. I tried new 64, 63.5, and 63's. No difference. I just came up with the theory that if my new alternator came with a pulley that was smaller than the factory ones, maybe I would need a 62" belt to allow the tensioner to operate within the correct range. This is probably unlikely, but could be possible. Anyway my alternator pulley is 2 1/8 inches in diameter.

Would work well on a race car with open exhaust, or may possibly be repaired or rebuilt (???)
Rattles at idle after warming up. You can't hear any noise while driving (but your knock sensor can).
Otherwise works perfectly. I bought it used on the internet and paid $175 plus shipping for it. Was supposedly from a low-mileage GN.
I have discovered that this is a common problem with the used ones. I went through 3 of them until a found a good one (used the old one that I removed from my race car). DON'T EVER buy a used one unless you hear it run on the car!!
This is not for a street car unless you know someone who can rebuild it. $75 shipped.
I'LL TAKE IT!