Series 1 / Series 2 camshaft swap dilemma?

KrisW

Ok, super tech guys, I need some serious help here. I'm not at home where I can take all the measurements myself so I am hoping that someone can answer this for me. Can I use a Series II cam in a Series I engine?

The reason I ask, is I would like to build a Series I long block and I can't seem to find any aftermarket cams for it. Plenty of stuff from before, and plenty after.

Somebody help!

Thanks guys.

A Series I engine is the same as the RWD block design. If you want to put Series II heads on it you can use that cam but there's no intake to go with the combo. If you want to use a stock style RWD cam then it you have to have the snout machined to work with the timing cover. No easy solution here.

Well, just looking at them, it seems like the Series 1 and Series 2 3800 use a very similar head setup. The ports are in the same spots. The Series 1 3800 engines I am talking about would be the 1991-1994 engines that had the aluminum "Tuned Port Injection" intakes. From what I read, the switch to Series 2 gave it a lower deck height, but I can find nothing about the valve train anywhere as far as specs go. There's a lot out there for the Series 2/3 engines, but the Series 1 has been left out it seems.

I had a Series 1 L67 supercharged engine in a 95 Riviera, and when my brother and mom blew the bottom end loose, I was able to use a 92 Bonneville Series 1 long block (with just the thicker head gaskets for the supercharger application) to put the car back on the road. When I had the heads off the ports were way too different to use a cam like the older Buick V6 engines use that have the offset ports. Later when I took the intake off of a Series 2 engine, the ports looked identical to the Series 1 engines, and so that is why I thought maybe the cam would interchange.

Just looking at the replacement parts online, like cam bearings, they are listed as different between the two. I am sure that the basic structure of the cam is the same for both engines, but not sure which has the smaller journals, and which has the larger.

Series I engines use the same port configuration as the RWD heads. EIIEIE and the Series II are IEIEIE. I is for intake and E is for exhaust.