Sell complete or part it out?

thefairbanks

Hey guys,

I have a 1987 Buick Grand National engine that I bought two years ago that I was going to swap into my '79 Cutlass, but circumstances have changed.

I live in Calgary, AB, Canada, and the GN market isn't the biggest up here.

The motor is disassembled (was going to rebuild). Would it be better to sell the engine complete, or part it out? I'm just trying to make my money back.

The problem with selling complete (ALMOST complete - I'm missing the odd bracket here, sensor there), is that it could take a while selling locally. The problem with parting it out is that I live in Canada, so shipping is usually a deterrent to most guys in the USA - you can usually get the part cheaper from someone in your own country due to shipping costs alone.

What are your thoughts? The motor has nearly everything, plus some extras like a complete gas tank, power steering pump, intercooler, new gaskets etc. I also have aftermarket stuff like a Pypes stainless steel catback exhaust, side exit no muffles, stainless steel bolt sets, ARP bot sets, 50 lbs. injectors, extender chip, TA Performance valve covers etc.

Part out or sell complete? I'm hoping to get $1,500 out of the whole thing. Whatever option can net the most return.

Open to feedback/thoughts!

Last edited:
Canadian shipping is a joke.
That said I'm in BC and wouldn't mind some more info on the extras you've got. I can run shipping through my business account so that helps a little.

VlJim - send me a PM on what you are looking for and we can chat! Yes - Canadian shipping is what kills me.

forzfed - It's a 2.5 converter back stainless system. SGG50 is the part number. Behind the tires exit. I'm actually keeping the mufflers, but if you're interested in the system itself, let me know.

buddy - are you wondering about just the block itself? I'll take a look and see what shipping might be.

In general, if you are not needing a quick sale, I would sell the parts individually to give you the best shot of getting your money back or maybe even making a small profit.