Screwed up own trans. somehow!

GSX-PKV

I have owned my car since new and put in a shift kit and trans cooler 14 years ago. The trans worked great, the car runs 11.40's with just bolt-ons, the motor has never been opened. The firmness of the shifts was perfect. Then I decided it may be a plus to put on the Art Carr deep trans. pan to add add'l. 2 quarts capacity. When I drained the oil I noted it was near perfect... clean and did not smell burned. The magnet inside the stock pan had very little black residue so I was happy my trans looked to be in great shape. I removed the old filter and made sure I removed the old o-ring.

Then I put on the Art Carr pan. The cable bracket on the drivers side does not fit on the pan so I ground the edge of the bracket until it would fit. I have always used type F fluid, but while at the store saw the B&M Slick Shift and thought I'd give that a try (how stupid since type F has worked so great for me all these years). When I went to put it in I couldn't get out the dipstick. I should have pulled it up before putting on the pan but I didn't. I loosened the bolts on the pan and got the slightly bent at the bottom dipstick out. I filled it with fluid-1/2 pint over the full mark.

The car now has soft shifts at wide open throttle from 1-2 and 2-3. I adjusted the TV cable the best I could and it shifts firm at part throttle but horrible at W.O.T.

Any ideas as to what I have done to screw up my perfectly shifting transmission?
maybe the filter was damaged and is not sealing perfectly... could the "pinching" of the dipstick caused anything? Is it the geometry if off on the TV cable because of the thicker lipped Art Carr pan? Is it the B&M Slick Shift fluid? What is the part number for the latest, greatest filter?

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks for any advice! Paul

Sounds like you need to adjust your TV (throttle valve) cable some more. Did you change the trans filter? If so, it may be sucking air. Post in the "Trans Tech" section also.

paul vilser

Thanks for the input. I changed the filter and plan on adjusting the TV cable some more. I tried several settings so I would be surprised if the cable adjusting helps. I bought the pan and kit from Kirban and there was no filter extension included. Just a stock-ooking filter. I guess my best bet will be to tray the cable adjustments a little more and then if that doesn't work, try a new filter in case this one is causing air to be sucking. Thanks! Paul

Why would you over fill the trans. Maybe you should try 1/2 quart below the full line and then when the trans warms up, check level and adjust. Just my 0.02. I always thought an overfilled trans would create air.

I have heard from numerous folks to slightly overfill the transmission for performance applications. Initially, I had it slightly below the fill line, at the fill line and now over the fill line with exactly the same soft shifting results.

The 200 4R filter draws from the top, with the Art carr deep pan, there now is a huge gap below the filter. Maybe that's the problem? Is anyone else using that Art Carr pan? If so, did you TV cable bracket just bolt on, or did it need some filing to fit? I e-mailed Art Carr Co., but they have not responded to my question so I'll have to figure this out on my own so if anyone has any thoughts, I'd really appreciate it. I plan on putting in a new filter with the type F fluid that's worked so well. If that doesn't work the old pan goes on and I'll sell the Art Carr pan as a drainable, deep, finned aluminum cat litter tray on Ebay :) Paul

You might want to switch to the 700 filter. But I heard you have to modify the Art Carr pan to make the 700 filter work. Good Luck

I spoke with the Art Carr folks and the man I spoke with was helpful. He is pretty sure it's not the filter or the amount of fluid in the pan or the Slick Shift fluid. He was fairy certain it has to do with the tv cable where it is now on a new position on the trans. and I'll tinker with it until I get it right. Hopefully that will work. Thanks to everyone for their input. Paul