Scrap the EGR for manifold/carb upgrades? bad idea????

bitchin_buick

Cragar Keystone Klassics
I have a 82 regal (3.8 NA)Not planning on building a racecar, only hope to give her a little more kick! I've done alot a reasearch but still am concerned about ditching the EGR system... Heard of problems with pings/engine problems after removing the EGR and having to mess with timeing, ect...ect...My plan, FOR NOW ANYWAYS, is to get edlebrock's evenfire manifold(fits the 3.8 & 4.1)- Holly has a small 390CFM 4barrel. I already opened up the exhaust(cheap cherry bomb) and that did help and plan on gettin some shorrty headers( Headman has them) If I decide to do the manifold/carb upgrade. I dont want to invest my time and cash and end up having problems. SO, am I going to face constant headaches if I scrap my EGR to do the above plan. Or should I say screw it and try and find a GN rearend? Really hope to do the engine upgrade. Thanks for any pointers u can throw at me....

I scrapped the EGR on my 87 but my chip is programmed to work without it anyway.

Don't know if your car is a computer car or not.

***oops. :redface: I just noticed this is a "Non SFI thread" sorry. Good for a bump though right?

the egr shouldent matter since its carb and most likley that egr is vacuum operated and not electrical so i really dont see any proplems happening and timing shouldent matter since your egr only works on cruise speed and not at idle or at wide open throttle. besides all egr is for is to cool down cylinder temputures to prevent NoX forming at 2500 degrees

From reading my chilton's it seems pretty complex. It has a vacume pump with an electrical harness hooked to it. got damn air lines runnin everywhere. Thought about ripping it out and see how she runs....I will have to lable them hoses good if i have to put it back on....Fun. might have to use valuble brain power!!!!

do it that sounds like a good idea just make sure you label the lines and have then tapped off or youll just run like crap since you will have air leaks but on my 82 grand national im not goin with any emission crap im thinkin bout doin a 383 swap

There is no advantage to removing the EGR.

If you have an ECM, the car will ping without the EGR while cruising down the highway. But if you are running and non-ECM carb and distrbutor, you can tune the knocks away. Just run a little richer.

so if I do the manifold/carb upgrade, get a better ditributer????? Are the pings and knocks gonna F-up my motor. doesnt sound good! WHat are my chances of finding a decent GN rearend that hasn't been abused launching down the track many times???? Thanks for the help. What would you do if you had the 3.8 NA and had 700hundred to $1000 to invest in some upgrades? spend my money gentleman.....

looked up beforeblack.net -- good stuff. seems like the time and money I would have to put into my 3.8 NA. I should just drop in an 8 and go from there. Better building block:cool:

i looked for my 82 i couldent find one but summit sells a detroit locker that also allows for wheel slip when you need to turn. its for 8.5 10bolt the price is up ther its about 700. with that money that u have saved right now for your 3.8 i would upgrade with a higher lift cam and get that intake and carb upgrade and if you have some money left offer get your heads port and polished that should at least get you 100 more horses if not more

it depends on how much performance you're looking for with your 3.8. If you dont want to remove you EGR system, go with the 4.1 intake and a good not computer controled carb from any GM V8 from the end of 70s. You can take the aftermarket route:Weiand Intake (EGR works but it sit higher). With Edelbrok find you a good old distributor from around 78, no computer, vaccum advance, old school tuning and its going to be okay. Thats the beginning... 8445 heads, ported and polished, good cam and you'll be around 225-240 hp net HP.

....What would you do if you had the 3.8 NA and had 700hundred to $1000 to invest in some upgrades? spend my money gentleman.....

Want to go fast without a turbo real cheap?.....Go with a V-8. Regal is a heavy car. Needs power. 350 Buick or 455. (Forget Chev blocks...find a Malibu for that).

Don't waste your money on the N/A V-6 Buick unless you're sticking it in a Vega, MG, Triump or a G-body frame without the body and go sprint, (Lol :D ).

You can get more power from the V-6 but it will burn a hole in your wallet, $1000.00 is chicken feed.

My .02 cents...:cool:

looked up beforeblack.net -- good stuff. seems like the time and money I would have to put into my 3.8 NA. I should just drop in an 8 and go from there. Better building block:cool:

You are right! Im glad i have done my research. Getting a cherry picker from the wife for christmas... wooo hoo! In he long run I think this will be my best bet in the long run.... G-BODIES KICKASS! thanks gentleman. Happy t-day!