Scanmaster Reading

Colas_011

Hello, I've just installed a few items on my 87GN. TT chip & 42# inj, frnt mt intercooler, cold air intake, reworked tb & plenum, new tps. Engine stumbles pretty bad while trying to accel in park. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Here are my SM readings: mv 394 AF09 L8 43 bAt 13.9 Int 128 bL 122 MPH 00 CLt 146 AtS 88 r 775-850 (bounces) tPS .42 IAC 10 cc 09-233 (bounces all over). Thanks again!!! Nick Eustaquio

If the MAF is reading 9 at idle, then that's definitely a problem. Should be around 5 typically. Something may have happened to the MAF when installing your mods. Look inside it and make sure the screen(s) are ok. It might be dead.

Thanks Eric for the quick response. The MAF is a rebuilt unit I purchased (GM) stock. It only has 1 screen, and appears to O.K. I reseated the connector and tapped it a bit. Reading in now at 06 and still stumbles. I guess I"ll be looking for a new one. Thanks Again!! Nick E.

Update: Took the MAF off and cleaned with sensor cleaner...reinstalled...now AF fluctuates back & forth 05-06. Also adjusted IAC to 20 TPS .42. Still falls flat of idle. Any ideas. Is it still the MAF? Thanks!!

Is the SES light on? With the car running lightly tap the maf, if it stutters or stalls your maf is going south, replace it, rebuilt mafs are a crap shoot to find a good one.

No SES light on, and tapping MAF doesn't change anything. Engine idle does fluctuate from 750 to 925 on its own. What MAF would be best...stock or newer ones with a MAF translator. Thanks Nick E.

If your budget allows it, a translator with a 3" LT1 or a 3.5 LS1 would be the next cheapest way to go.

Who would be the best source to purchase one at...price wise. Note: Full Throttle won't ship to Guam, so their out. Also, is the MAF translator a plug and play or do I need to make adjustments. Difficult or straight forward. Thanks again for all the assistance. Nick E.

Who would be the best source to purchase one at...price wise. Note: Full Throttle won't ship to Guam, so their out. Also, is the MAF translator a plug and play or do I need to make adjustments. Difficult or straight forward. Thanks again for all the assistance. Nick E.
Nick, somebody on this board might have one for sale if you post for one. The translator is "plug n play" as long as the translator is for a Buick, other wise you will just need an adapter on the harness to plug into the Buick maf sensor. Very simple.

Thanks turbojd for the reply. I'd like to get the LT1 MAF & Translator. Does the Buick harness plug right in to the MAF or needs a harness adapter. Thanks again!!! Nick E.

Did some research and answered my own question. Thanks for the assistance. Just need to get the set-up now. Nick E.

Just received and installed my new LT1 MAF & Translator. Initially, everything sounded good and then after the engine warmed-up...idle started fluctuating. Checked Scanmaster readings and the AF was 08-11. Engine stumbles during accelaration. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Nick Eustaquio.

Nick, make sure that the translator is set to the correct knob setting for the size maf sensor you are using, check that. What chip are you runnig in the car? If your not running the extreme or extender chips your dip switches should be set to on,on,on,off. Also make sure you tightened up your maf pipe or hose connections.

The translator DIP switches are on on on off and the MAF is selected to 3 WOT at O. All couplings are tight. AF 07...still running rich that I'm now hearing intermit plug fouling. New plugs...r43ts gapped .035. The translator has what appears to be 3 setting for the LT1 MAF... (3 normal with 6% fuel increase at wot)...(4 rich with 8% fuel increase at wot) and (5 lean with 10% increase at wot). I didn't get a chance to try it out yet. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick!!!

These are the current readings...af 08, lb 047, bat 13.5, int 129, bl 125, clt 162, ats 90, r 825, tps .42, iac 35. Thanks Nick!!!

I know of a few people that had a AF problem, and had to set the translator to a 3.5 setting even tho they had a 3" LT1 maf, you could try that,tho I never had a problem with my translator settings being equal.

Here are some of things I did this afternoon.
1. Checked fuel press....38 psi to 22 psi in 1 hr

2. Replaced all 6 plugs, gap .035 r43ts. note: removed plugs burning very rich.

3. Ran engine MAF/translator @3. af 06, L8 41, bat 13.6, int 124-134, Bl 118, mph 00, cle 162, ats 91, r 800, tps .42, iac 25, cc 18> flux. Note: during initial start...accel was ok, still hesitating. Once warmed up...hit the throttle and it just chokes.

4. Ran engine MAF/translator @2...experimenting....reset comp. af 07, L8 45, Bat 13.7, int 127, bl 115-142, mph 00, cle 162, ats 91, r 750-850, tps .42, iac 16, cc 19> flux. Once again falls flat when you hit the accel.

5. Ran engine MAF/translator @5...reset comp. AF 05, L8 37, Bat 13.7, int 123-134, BL 125, mph 00, clt 164, ats 93, r 775-825, tps .42, iac 20, cc 20> flux. Note: gradual accel eng spools better than the previous MAF settings. However, engine still falls/stalls when you hit the throttle. I'll continue tomorrow if anybody has some other things for me to check. Thanks Nick!!!