Scanmaster Numbers...

Cool87GN

I recently found the reason for my code 31. It was the ccc/selenoid fuse. The GN is still popping under boost (about 12-15 lbs). I have no more error codes and my numbers at idle after driving are as follows:

AF- 5
L8- 32-36
Batt- 12.5
Int- 128-145
Bl- 160
Clt- 180
Ats- 119
Rpm- 800
Tps- .44
Iac- 23
Mal- 00

What could be the problem? Thank you,

BL-160? is maxed
Look for a vaccum leak
The follwoing is a post I kept.
Here are a few tips from the archives. Credit goes to other TurboBuick.com members, not me.

Read the following, search the archives some more (for "High BLM" as well as "vacuum leak.") Most of all, be patient. You'll find your leaks.

HTH

Peter
87GN

-----------------------------

When I am looking for vacuum leaks, I use carb spray (WD-40 is a lube and leaves an oily deposit... This attracts dust.) Target areas are the gaskets at the vacuum block, dog house, plenum, intake, PCV grommet, EGR lines (At the valve and solenoid), and the vacuum canister itself.

-------------------------------

That solenoid on top of the cannister should hold vacuum if its applied to its nipple, if it doesnt its bad. If that solenoid is bad, the check valve going to it was probably bad as well. Evertime you find something bad your one step closer. Sorry the car is close to 20 years old. Stuff happens.
Plug all the lines on top of the throttle body. Easy way to do this, remove the two screws on top of the vacuum block, lift it a little, and put something there to seal it. I use gasket material(plain) they sell it in a roll, with some dressing(hylomar, vaseline), push the two screws through it, and tighten them down. This way there is no vacuum going to any accessory. Doing so should drop your BL's down under 120 typically, if theyre still at 150..your issue is elsewhere.

-------------------------------

I'll give you this tip.. put a piece of blank gasket material over the TB under the vacuum distribution block. your BLM's should go under 128 to about 120. If so..then you have one of the lines with issues. If not.. look else where for your leak.. like headers, plenum gaskets, IAC gaskets, MAF, O2 sensor, etc

If the check valve under the FPR was toast, the EGR selenoid valve may be bad. Remove the sponge filter, apply vacuum with the mity vac, it should hold vacuum when you put your finger over the nipple. If it makes a farting sound, its probably bad.

Understand what bl 150 means. The O2 sensor reads that the mixture is lean, and is commanding the ecm to add fuel. Lean happens from too much air. Where is the too much air.. this is where your at. You have to isolate the motor.. air leak anywhere can do this. Bad MAF, bad O2, cracked header, throttle body, FPR, TB gasket, plenum gasket, intake gasket, cam, vacuum block gasket, bad injector, IC, Turbo, chip, ecm, ignition module, etc etc etc... If I sound repetitive.. sorry. see if even didnt mention vacuum lines.

Everytime you find a vacuum breach.. reset the computer and try again. Do the top engine cleaner to check for exhuast leaks, place the MAF rite before the throttle body eliminating the turbo and IC... what can I say..you dont fix this, you'll hurt your motor driving it this way. Why becuase the extra fuel it's dropping in will wash down the cylinders and mess the oil up. Bad oil, can hurt the bearings, wash down can hurt the rings/walls. Let alone your fuel tables now are skewed up.. the idle BL's set up the basis for your computers tuning.. cant tell you how many blown head gaskets i've seen with cars that have a high bl problem.

Do some searching, or get the car to someone that can diagnose this kind of issue. Its usually something simple..problem is its hard to find. I hate this kind of stuff.. much easier to do headgaskets than constantly prod around a motor hoping to find the issue.

-----------------------------------

If you look under your FPR there is a metal line, from it goes to a one way check valve. From it there is a "T" fitting. One part of the T goes to the EGR, the other to your vacuum accessories. Right behind the brake booster along the firewall there is a vacuum hose that runs to the cruise control and vacuum ball. if you unhook the rubber from wher it branches, this is the place to test it. It will take quite a few pumps for the needle to start going up if everything is ok. Since you have to evac the air out of the ball. Anyways that hose rots on almost all the cars I've ever looked at.

There is another line that goes through another check valve to your cannister. Its the nipple behind the alternator. If you pull that hose, it should hold vacuum as well. If it doesnt, then its a bad check valve/hose/cannister valve. This being done car off.

The EGR solenoid is bit tricky to test. See you have to remove the cover on the back, remove the little filter, apply vacuum to the larger nipple on the front, and while holding your finger to plug the air filter nipple hole, it should hold vacuum. At least some.. a couple inches is all thats needed without the needle on the guage falling.

The check valves go bad due to age and what not.. once they go bad, they allow boost to go past them.. once this happens, it kills the diaphrams in those units.. not always.. but happens.

Lastly on your brake booster there is a check valve that lets it hold pressure. Its that black plastic thing on the end of the hose rite where it plugs into the booster. No that has no bearing on your blm problem unless the booster doesnt hold vacuum.. If you pull that off the booster you should hear a PSSSHHHH.

--------------------------------------

Well I have officially fixed three cars with the high BLM condition...

Mity Vac is your best friend when it comes to this.

First car, ended up needing two check valves(GM), EGR selenoid, Charcoal cannister selenoid, AC Delco PCV, and 4 vacuum lines replaced.

Second car was easy.. two check valves, one EGR selenoid, one charcoal cannister selenoid, two vacuum lines..and an AC Delco PCV.

Third was the monster.. stripped bolts on intake repaired, leaky EGR valve replaced, 6 vacuum hoses, 2 check valves, AC Delco PCV, installed new power plate gaskets, cracked drivers side header welded, installed missing TB gasket , and replaced the already new vacuum block gasket.. BLM's are 128 at idle. This car was at 160 at idle.. oil was being changed every 300 miles cuase it smelled like fuel. Wont mention gas economy.

Famous quote from mechanic.. "I dunno..car seems to be running really good(BLM at 148)..you sure your just not chasing numbers?"

What happens is the check valves go bad and let boost through..then when this happens, its blows out the diaphrams on the associated stuff like EGR selenoids and charcoal cannister selenoids. One of the cars had those cheap discount autoparts check valves..new.. they were bad. Replace all the crap with original AC Delco and you'll be amazed at the results. Pinching pennies on this stuff comes back in a vicious way.

FWIW, on the easy car that was at 146.. replacing the PCV to an AC Delco PCV dropped that car from 146 to 137.

Hope this helps someone searching. Two of the cars above had sustained blown head gaskets.. wonder why?

Your blm's are high at 160 check for any vacuum or exhaust leaks. Mine popped under boost too at 10-12 lbs. I swapped out the coil pack with a new one and that solved the popping. You can try and check the coil pack towers it should read between 11k to 13k ohms.

Those little "Mighty-Vac" pumps are great.
Pop off a hose, give it a few pumps and see if it holds vac..
Or you could hook it up with the engine running and see what engine vac. you have at the other end.

Awesome Tips!

It sounds like I won't have a lazy Sunday Afternoon now. I just want this car to run right. What about the other numbers? Are they inline or are they screwed too? Thanks for all the advice so far,

The vacuum lead is obvious and already covered. As for the popping if fixing the vacuum leak doesn't fix it have you checked you fuel pump? Reading your sig I can't believe it would be the case, but I figured I'd ask.

Hi,
Let's figure out your obvious lean condition first. I think the other numbers are reasonably ok. O2 sensor readings will tell the story. A Block learn reading of 160 screams at you, give me fuel! Nothing like a lean misfire to F up your day. Let us know how things are going!

Crossover pipe holes...

I found two small holes on my crossover pipe. Could that be jacking up the BLMS? I can only get between 12-15 lbs of boost no matter how much I adjust the rod. Thank you,

What do you use as the boost controller?
If the stock wastegate, make sure your wastegate hose is correct.
The stright leg goes to the turbo.

If you can't find any reason for the limited boost you can just unhook the hose from the wastgate and plug it. Be carefull though as this will allow the turbo to achive its full boost potential (thereby confirming it's not a turbo problem) which could very well give you a brand new set of blown headgaskets. :eek:

You guys....don't put the cart before the horse.... fix the high BLM prob first..... why risk blowing it up just to see a higher boost number.... if the computer can't add enough fuel to keep it rich enough.....

IMHO..... fix this before you worry about how much boost you can/can't make.....

My bad. I figured it was obvious you should fix the vacuum leak before messing with the boost. In retrospect perhaps I wasn't that clear. :eek: So, when you read "If you can't find any reason.." in my previous post I meant fix everything else and the problem still persists then....thanks for pointing that out Blazer406 :)