Scanmaster not working?

turbohye

Nuclear Reactor
Hey guys, just got tags for the buick and went out for a spin today. Noticed that the scan master doesnt turn on anymore. Its wired into the same port under the dash for the ECU signal. Its plugged directly into the fuse panel for the 12v battery port at the bottom of the fuse panel.

Subsequently, the transmissions TQ lockup manual Switch that a buddy of mine (Steve V) had wired in no longer works as well. Car drives and boosts fine but the torque convertor doesnt lock up and the scanmaster doest operate. Strange as it is, i remember they were working fine before i pulled the car in the garage for paint. (i never took out the dash though)

Does anyone know where i can start to look? The manual lockup switch seems to be going into the fuse panel as well, and just to see if it wasnt the switch that was bad i went for a drive and bridged both connections manually...but nothing locked up...

Im totally lost with this and your help and suggestions to look and start would be helpful.

Go over you wires throroughly......sounds like something got swapped. The loc-up should ONLY be 2 wires 1 to far left terminal and the other to the far right in the upper aldl ports.
SM should be ground, 12v (fuse panel), and the white wire to 2nd upper port from left on aldl......if memory serves. HTH

Tony something is not correct with the wiring. Your TC switch should be 12v and ground that is all. IIRC the aldl connector trick was not working so we made our own since you had to be back on the road.

Scanmaster..12v,ground,pin on top left of aldl connector is for the white wire.

Tony something is not correct with the wiring. Your TC switch should be 12v and ground that is all. IIRC the aldl connector trick was not working so we made our own since you had to be back on the road.

Thanks Steve. Its raining outside but hopefully this saturday when all is dry, i can get under the dash and see. Before i posted i traced both wires and they were still solid and connected... just to make sure it wasnt the switch i took it out of the equation and while above 45 i connected the two ends but nothing happened. im sure i may have missed something so i will find more time over the weekend to go over it.

Thanks for the scanmaster schematic too...that will be useful since that stopped working. Must have lossened something when yankin that carpet out.

Wait - you said the pin for the scan master goes to the absolute top left? Please correct me...if so mine is on the top row - second from the left.

crap....i just went out to the car to see if the wires were hooked up still...i didnt realize but none of my interior lights work..

brake lights work, dash works, signals work, stereo area works, i can dim the dash fine all the way up and all the way off. but the 2 lights near the back window dont light up..they were working too before the respray... wow...im lost..

grabbed a flash light and verified that all the wires were hooked up and connected still.. everything looks good too. Verified a solid connection at the ECU on the plugs. Car cranks and fires right up with no hesitation.
im really lost.

Wait - you said the pin for the scan master goes to the absolute top left? Please correct me...if so mine is on the top row - second from the left.

I am incorrect..yours is correct 2nd from left.

you blew a fuse or 2.. no biggie. it happens. figure out which one and replace it. since you've got extra stuff plugged into that circuit, might as well go with a slightly higher amp fuse.

did you check the fuses in the panel under the dash for any that are blown?

Well i woke up extra early this morning to check. Long story short its raining outside a bit. I will definately get under there and check some fuses.
thanks for the tip

you blew a fuse or 2.. no biggie. it happens. figure out which one and replace it. since you've got extra stuff plugged into that circuit, might as well go with a slightly higher amp fuse.
thanks Nova, i think and hope you are right. I will check those fuses just as soon as this darn rain stops coming down. it looks to be stopping any second.
BTW - are you in Northern VA? just asking because of your name.

Thanks for your help guys...after lots of fumbling i figured out what the issue was. Looks like when i recently replaced the door before the paint job, the wire sheathing in the door must have rubbed off. Blew the CIG and dash fuses after the wires were rubbing on the door frame. Pulled door panels off and saw the fried wire. Replaced it and got it sealed and wrapped up in some fresh electrical tape. Replaced the fuses, and i was back in action. Took her for a spin and had a good time. Knocking and pulling about 7.7 degrees @ 808 around 3800 RPM so i need to see whats going on there. Now I need to figure out this knock...
nonetheless, this case is closed and thanks for your help once again.

Thanks for your help guys...after lots of fumbling i figured out what the issue was. Looks like when i recently replaced the door before the paint job, the wire sheathing in the door must have rubbed off. Blew the CIG and dash fuses after the wires were rubbing on the door frame. Pulled door panels off and saw the fried wire. Replaced it and got it sealed and wrapped up in some fresh electrical tape. Replaced the fuses, and i was back in action. Took her for a spin and had a good time. Knocking and pulling about 7.7 degrees @ 808 around 3800 RPM so i need to see whats going on there. Now I need to figure out this knock...
nonetheless, this case is closed and thanks for your help once again.
Car sat how long? Could be old gas. Don't blow those headgaskets.