scan master VS Powwe logger?

Roman86GN

Hey guys,

I need to order a scanner, and was wondering if the power logger does everything the scan master does? or do you need other things like senders and wiring etc? Looking to order one today...please help

I use the PowerLogger and couldn't imagine running without it. It gives so much more info compared to the scan master, however you need to have a laptop in your car, so it's not as convenient.

If you have the money, both is the way to go. The SM is great for general use just to make sure everthing is operating properly and can replace the need for a few gauges. The powerlogger is what you need for detailed tuning. Yes, people do tune their cars off of the SM, but I just don't see how you can get as dialed in as you can with a PL.

The SM should be one of the first items added to any turbo buick. If you can't purchase both right now, starting with the SM gets my vote. But, as previously posted, I couldn't imagine trying to tune without the PL.

I run both. My laptop is not always in the car. The scanmaster with the chip upgrade to read faster from the powerlogger is good too. PLus you can see temp, volts and other things without having lots of gauges mounted everywhere while cruising on the street.

Thanks guys, I plan on running both but can only purchase one right now. I have a small laptop that I can use for the power logger, so sounds like I will get that first. Down the line I will pick up a scan master for the convenience.

One of the reasons I think the SM should be the first purchase is because it displays knock. The PL monitors this also, but you can't safely look over at a laptop in the passenger seat while your foot is in the gas and you are driving down the road. By the time you analyze the run on the PL it may be too late and the motor may be hurt. With the SM up on the dash you can lift at the first hint of knock and hopefully save the motor. Think of it as a safety tool. If you already have a knock gauge, then cool, go for the PL.