sandblaster to soda blaster

Jims project

Jims project
Has anyone changed a 100lb. portable sandblaster over to a sodablaster? if so how did it do? I'm wanting to do my whole tub.. any pros or cons on it? the air compressor is not an issue.. thanks

I bought one of Eastwood's kits to convert a pressure blaster to soda. As a soda blaster it works well and I would recommend it. However don't count on being able to take one blaster and switch back and forth. The soda blaster has a restrictor in the soda feed that keeps it from flowing too much and the orifice is smaller than the coarse blasting grit. You can NEVER completely empty the old media out of the tank so it will plug the orifice in the soda conversion kit.

It works well but count on starting with a new blaster that has never seen coarse abrasives.

How do you neutralize the soda before painting?

POTW (Plain ole tap water) will do it. A little soap for extra effect.

THat soda blaster is the stuff on filler panels. I had an OEM set that through a set of screwups (mine and the body shops) were shedding paint. Worked better than anything for getting them back to new.

I bought one of Eastwood's kits to convert a pressure blaster to soda. As a soda blaster it works well and I would recommend it. However don't count on being able to take one blaster and switch back and forth. The soda blaster has a restrictor in the soda feed that keeps it from flowing too much and the orifice is smaller than the coarse blasting grit. You can NEVER completely empty the old media out of the tank so it will plug the orifice in the soda conversion kit.

It works well but count on starting with a new blaster that has never seen coarse abrasives.

I was going to switch it to soda and leave it..your saying it would work if you didn't switch back and forth.. did you do your tub this way? how much soda did it take? and time doing it?

I was going to switch it to soda and leave it..your saying it would work if you didn't switch back and forth.. did you do your tub this way? how much soda did it take? and time doing it?

In my case I had used some medium (20/40) black beauty and there was just enough to keep clogging up the flow restrictor. if you get the tank completely clean it will work. You are going to have some frustrations at first as the media comes out and clogs the restrictor.

Little things like making sure it is empty when you are done and screening your media will help a lot. Keep your media dry. It will absorb humidty and become a real pain.

Little things like making sure it is empty when you are done and screening your media will help a lot. Keep your media dry. It will absorb humidty and become a real pain.

The Eastwood kit has a purge for the soda.

But the location of the valve keeps it from getting all of it. THere's a little plug that can form in the feed line. After taking it apart several times to clean it out I realized that I could just blow air backwards through the line

The reason I'm asking is I've got a chance to get a 100lb sandblaster,and I knew eastwood had a kit. was weighing out the balance of a kit or buy new.. and how good of a job it would do.

Has anyone tried the small Harbor Freight soda blasters? I know, I know, but for tools you aren't going to make a living with or use for more than one job they can be appropriate. Anyway, they have a 10 lb size and a 15 lb size, both for $99, plus two grades of soda. Go to Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices and search for soda.

I am a fan of HF tools, lots of it is junk, especially anything that cuts - even the sandpaper!

I have also had lots of success with their stuff. My MIG machine from them is made in Italy. For some reason that seems to make a difference in most peoples mind.

So how many hours do you spend that store Carl?

Also remember to put a dryer in the air line to keep moisture out of the line.We use a drive shaft to dry the air, I would have to take pics to explain.