Sad sight- what is it worth?

Black Car

Is it me or does it seems like anyone with a GN in bad shape, think that are worth $$$$$.

Sorry for the long length and no pictures, I forgot the camera.
I had planed on bring it home..

Friday, I went to look at a 87 GN hardtop with 195,000 miles that is a one owner with absolutely NO Rust in it. Needing some electrical & interior work and paint. $4,500.00

Here is the whole real story- tell me what you think the car is worth...

The good, car is fairly straight and has good sheetmetal with NO RUST & G80 rear.
No bumper fillers, front or rear. Front bumper and grill are damaged and would have to be replaced. Rear bumper was ok needing paint.

Paint is beyond gone, looks like all years of its' life were spent under the Az sun. No cracks in any of the glasses, but the windshield has lots of tiny road chips.

Interior is there but stinks when you open the door. Driver door drops 2 inches when you open it.
Seat fabric and foam for all seat will have to be replaced.
Driver seat bracket is broken loose from the floor.
Carpet there but......gone, same with door panels, worned out and ragged. All the interior would have to be replaced.

The engine is all there and 100% original and is dirty enought to be original dirt from the factory. Original turbo and non adjustable wastegate, and factory flexible hose still on turbo . Original hoses are still on the intercooler. Claims it would run if it had a battery, but three spark plugs were laying on the radiator cover and three coil terminals were so rusty that you couldn't see metal.

Also claims that the original transmission had never been worked on and work great.

Junk after market wheels and tires.

What do you think it was worth???

I would say less, 1500.00 to maybe 2 grand. Parts for these cars get more expensive everytime I look for some!

I would say less, 1500.00 to maybe 2 grand. Parts for these cars get more expensive everytime I look for some!

X2...grab it as cheap as you can,salvage every freaking nut bolt and screw,and look for a more user friendly ride.Sell off what you don't need to use to offset cost.I found a T roof car back when I got mine,but body/interior was shot beyond belief.For what he was asking,it would have been a wash just selling off the driveline.The one your talking about sounds like at least the body parts and driveline sound decent...My .02

Sounds to me like it's not worth squat. Not in real terms. By the time you restore all the inside and outside pieces you require, plus paint, you will have spent enough to buy a GN in nice shape, and you will STILL have a 195k car.

Walk away....

Gary you will have 12-15k tied up just in the cosmetic restorations on this one, and even that is being conservative. Even if it does actually run, 195k is still 195k so plan on a powertrain overhaul as well (another 5k+ right there) so this would be a very long term project. So the bottom line: Is it worth saving? probably, as it sounds like you would at least have a decent platform for the resto, but definitely not worth 4500. 2k would be max offer and I would have to want it really bad to go even that high.

You're 20k into that car just by looking at it. Be honest with the guy. It needs a rebuild of the motor and tranny before you do any cosmetics. Theres at least 5k right there. A decent Maaco paint job is about 3 grand. Plus the interior. You're looking at 12k at the least. You car find a good runner and looker for that kind of $$$.

well, the rear end is worth $500 or more, depending on how good everything looks inside.
the hood's worth a couple hundred, motor's worth a few hundred, trans a couple hundred..
doors are worth money if they are solid- or the whole body could be sold as a roller if it's solid..
offer $1k.

I'll agree $1500-$2000. Yes anyone with a GN or any old iron thinks even a rusted non running heap of junk is worth a goldmine.

pics are worth a thousand words as they say. THis car has 0 rust on it? having said that you would be WAY ahead on restoring it. 15k i just doing cosmetics? Don't you guys ever buy good used stuff and do stuff yourself?
I don't know if I'd pay 4k for it, but it sounds like it might be a good frame off resto project

Thanks everyone, it has been 4-5 years since rebuilding my last one. Just needed to make sure that I wasn't behind on value of these cars.

This car would be perfect for some one that wrecked theirs but didn't hurt the motor/tranny and had good interior.

The no rust anywhere was the thing that I had trouble believing considering the sad state of the rest of the car.

The man (over the phone) even said that we could drive it home but recommended that tow it, just in case the electrical problem occured. Claims that it was in a shop for electrical bug- intermittence(sp) shut off problem.

Gary:smile:

hahahaha... $1500 for a rust free GN ??? I don't how many miles are on it :rolleyes: .. ok lets have some fun .. short version :eek:

Nose complete $1500 (NOT worth that??? break the parts down:p )
Doors .. $800
Rear clip rust free $1000.
Rear end $800

make my point??? then part out the drive train. :biggrin:

OH ... I'd piece it out NOT restore it BUT in 10 years people will be doin over cars like that .