S10 AC compressor on a Turbo Buick

BMR

Bad Medicine Racing
My compressor locked up a few months ago, and I decided to fix it today. The family gets unhappy riding in a black car with no air in 90°+ Alabama heat. Anyway, the correct compressor for the Buick is $200+ and a special order item. So I started investigating other options. A compressor for a 1987 S10 with a 2.8 is close enough to work and costs around $130 for a reman at O'reillys. The pressure switch from the Buick compressor has to be changed over, and the clutch switch is in a bit of an awkward position but is otherwise a direct fit. I thought I would toss this out there for any other guys that may be wanting to fix their ac on a budget.

I thought I might add the S10 compressor is pretty common and most bigger stores keep it in stock.

The high pressure switch from this port has to be removed from the Buick compressor and put into the S10 compressor. It is held in with a snap ring, but be careful removing the swith as it is old, brittle, and VERY easily broken.

Also, MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE CAP ON THE NEW COMPRESSOR'S PORTS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE THE PLUG!!!! Compressors are pressurized before shipment, and that steel plug will not feel good smacking you in the face.

Attachments

• IMG_20150718_073442102_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150718_073442102_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 214
Here is where the clutch plug is moved to. Its not as good as the stock location, but it works.

Attachments

• IMG_20150718_072924233.jpg
    IMG_20150718_072924233.jpg
    876.6 KB · Views: 212
So you cant use the s-10 clutch if it come s with a nw AC compressor- you must switch it for the Buick Clutch? I see an s-10 one listed on Rock auto w/o a clutch, that's why I ask.

Looks like you can use the clutch that comes on the s10 compressor. It's just that the plug for the clutch is in a different spot and not as easy to plug in.

So you cant use the s-10 clutch if it come s with a nw AC compressor- you must switch it for the Buick Clutch? I see an s-10 one listed on Rock auto w/o a clutch, that's why I ask.
Looks like you can use the clutch that comes on the s10 compressor. It's just that the plug for the clutch is in a different spot and not as easy to plug in.
This^^^. I didn't take the clutch off, but there is a good chance it will interchange. Just make sure the compressor you get has the port for the pressure switch. I was checking out an OE Harrison compressor on a S10 this evening, and it did not have the port.

This^^^. I didn't take the clutch off, but there is a good chance it will interchange. Just make sure the compressor you get has the port for the pressure switch. I was checking out an OE Harrison compressor on a S10 this evening, and it did not have the port.
This is great! Care to share the part number?

I just bought a new compressor for my GN for about double the price. I have not installed it yet and I am considering returning the one I bought and going this route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bought a new compressor for my GN for about double the price. I have not installed it yet and I am considering returning the one I bought and going this route...............................

My experience with reman AC compressors has not been good. :(

The warranty sucks on a reman if you even get one, but most I have installed in recent years needed to be replaced in a year or less. Of course our 100+ degree summer temps give them a stress test for many months during the year.

A local friend just installed 3 remans before he got one to work right. The added labor and lost freon made this a losing situation?

Good point Nick.... I was curious about that also. The one I already bought is new

On the otherside of that argument how many people actually replaced the entire system when they did the compressor. Condenser, accumulator, drier. There are a ton of folks driving around with R12 systems and the only thing the person did was recharge it with 134 and add a new drier. Extreme heat will kill parts around here we put the air on just to kill the humidity in the air.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority. I have access to an ac machine at work, and I can pull my refrigerant out and change the compressor and shoot it back in if need be. I will say the clutch is noisier that I would like, but its not big deal.

The NEW compressor for the S10 is around $160 iirc. And if you get in good with the guys at your local store there is always some leeway in the prices. If need be you can pit advance, auto zone, and O'reillys against each other as they all offer the low price guarantee.

Good info to have here, thanks, I have jobber discounts and the local parts houses by me so this would be great.