Running rich, throttle tip-in, no codes

Turtle TR

boioing boioing boioing..
my 85 tr's seen better days. first the car started to have this stumble at around 2000-3000rpm just cuising the freeway. it felt like i was playing with the brakes. I changed the plugs and fuel filter soon after and the stumble had gone away. I took the scanner plugged it in...I showed a 22. I corrected that and reset my IAC. since then I had this wierd tip-in. just as I apply the throttle...it sound like it was gasping for air, it had this odd sucking sound from the MAF/air filter. it would only happen from idle to applying throttle. next my car run's rich. the fumes are literally burning my eyes and nose. then..BOOM!! there's backfire emitting every now and then. I'd be cruising at about 45mph and the car would start to stutter a little and BOOM again. I came a stop and let the car idle. it was idling pretty rough, not "big cam" rough, the "there's something wrong with the car" rough. the SES light turns on and I got a code 44. change out the O2, the car still runs rough and rich. This all started to happen when I changed out my turbo elbow for 86/87 ported one. the only difference between the two is that the puck arm was higher. I lengthed the wastegate rod and still I hit 20psi. I lengthened it more....I still peaked at 20psi. maybe the puck arm is binding? Also after running xylene at the track. I scanned the car again..no codes. could it be the MAF? I unluggedthe MAF and the car ran smooth. any suggestions?

Sounds like you've found the problem (MAF). I've got a cheapie if you want it.