Running rich at idle & smoke???

1BADT

TurboHolic
Recently my car seems to be running very rich at idle. O2's hover around 792-804 on my scanmaster with the car fully warmed up and idleing in gear or park... This seems very high for idle. Fuel pressure is set to 45psi hose off. Also I've noticed when I punch it I get a big puff of smoke and coasting down hill, no throttle, smoke comes out the tailpipes. Normal driving no smoke. I have noticed no oil or water consumption just the high 02's, light smoke & strong smell from the tailpipes. Hopefully this makes sense as I am still half asleep this morning. If anyone needs to know anything else feel free to ask, THANKS...

Do you know of any exhaust leaks anywhere? That sounds to me like a huge exhaust leak. Header crack, crossover pipe to header, or passenger header to turbo connection.

I dont see or here any exhaust leaks and "YES" my driver side header has been repaired properly...

Anyone else have ideas? THANKS

Hey 1BADT, my wife would love your car! She loves those rosewood T's!!! Good pics on the website.

Car looks great, good luck on your smokey problems. You'll find it, just keep at it!

The smoke that you are getting coasting down hill and when you punch it is a BIG sign of worn valve seals. The only way to fix that is to pull the heads and do a complete valve job (to fix it correctly) :eek: .

What are your blm #'s at idle? New o2 sensor? Had the same problem, only wouldn't idle at all. Maf sensor was going bad. Check that, too.

The smoke Could be the valve seals, 178K on the engine...:(

As for my BLM's they are at 128 which is a pre-set
perameter in my THRASHER chip I run.

Any other opinions????

THANKS

I don't like the one where you pull the heads off and do a complete valve job. That one sucks. :eek: I'm sure you agree.

i'm going to do the valve seals on mine too since i'm also doing the comp cams 980 valve springs. anyone have a part # for the comp cams valve seals for stock heads?