running lean on entire pass side bank WTF!

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
We wont go over what happened to my engine...but now I am trying to figure out what caused the grief.

Here are the details. I THOUGHT I had all Ts crossed and I's dottted.

New caspers engine harness
New caspers injector hot wire harness
New XFI
New injectors
New TA race headers
Hyetech ported intake
Champion heads, irons
Accufab 70mm TB

Last weekend I had a bout of detonation that took it's toll on the rotating assy. I tore it all down sent it off to Nick.

This week I had a chance today to look at the heads. As I am cleaning them up, inspecting them I see that ALL 3 exhaust valves are hot. There were NO vacuum leaks. I know this happened immediately. It become apparent how hot these cylinders were when I took the headers off and saw the blue temp range on the flanges. The headers were on the car 160 miles, total. The head gaskets were in perfect condition upon removal. Something is restricting flow on ALL three ports, and Ill be f'd If I know how in the world this can happen. One set of pictures shows the drivers bank, you can clearly distinguish the pass side. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20160312_143944_resized.jpg
    20160312_143944_resized.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 246
  • 20160312_145204_resized.jpg
    20160312_145204_resized.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 239
  • 20160312_151509_resized.jpg
    20160312_151509_resized.jpg
    347.8 KB · Views: 246
  • 20160312_151517_resized.jpg
    20160312_151517_resized.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 20160312_151523_resized.jpg
    20160312_151523_resized.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 238
  • 20160312_151712_resized.jpg
    20160312_151712_resized.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 20160312_151716_resized.jpg
    20160312_151716_resized.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 225
  • 20160312_151721_resized.jpg
    20160312_151721_resized.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 237
We wont go over what happened to my engine...but now I am trying to figure out what caused the grief.
Details of the engine failure can be an important part of the inspection.
What do the plugs look like?
XFI... Data logs?
Did you run the engine w/ hi boost? 160 miles of what?
Post the tune. The goorus can take a look.

tune cannot attach the GCT file??. Cal looked at it, said nothing seems out of the norm. Plugs are white like the valves appear. There was detonation on the top of the pistons. The rod cap bearings fell out on 2,4 when removed for inspection. #3 main was completely shot, copper, nearly spun the main bearing. All other mains ok. Logs, unfortunately no, not before and between the 150 mile road trip.

tune cannot attach the GCT file??. Cal looked at it, said nothing seems out of the norm. Plugs are white like the valves appear. There was detonation on the top of the pistons. The rod cap bearings fell out on 2,4 when removed for inspection. #3 main was completely shot, copper, nearly spun the main bearing. All other mains ok. Logs, unfortunately no, not before and between the 150 mile road trip.
:eek: Damn.

Restricting flow? Maybe injectors not squirting as they should. Bad tune on XFI?

going to camera the inside of the runners as the run into the head to make sure the headers are not restricting flow. Hell, they are BRAND new TA race headers. Plus I dont know how a header should look at the inside area of the header where it is welded to the flange. I do know the tube comes in toward the center of the "square about 1/8" which the exhaust gases may be hitting and bouncing off versus flowing correct, not sure.

That shouldn't cause the issues... May cause hot spots along the edges of the flange, but not the lean condition..
Inj harness on the correct injs?
Injs fresh?
How's the fuel plumbed?

That shouldn't cause the issues... May cause hot spots along the edges of the flange, but not the lean condition..
Inj harness on the correct injs?
Injs fresh?
How's the fuel plumbed?
Fresh injectors cleaned and flowed by full throttle.

BRAND NEW caspers hot wire injector harness.

New...er caspers complete harness

Injector harness had the numbers on the leads...but...we can all be human.

Fuel is all new racetronix Teflon lines into factory rail. I am getting a new 430 pump and hanger from nick. Was running walbro 255. I understand this may have been an issue but why just one side???

How about the power plate? With my engine as open as one could get...should I eliminate it??

Fresh injectors cleaned and flowed by full throttle.

BRAND NEW caspers hot wire injector harness.

New...er caspers complete harness

Injector harness had the numbers on the leads...but...we can all be human.

Fuel is all new racetronix Teflon lines into factory rail. I am getting a new 430 pump and hanger from nick. Was running walbro 255. I understand this may have been an issue but why just one side???

How about the power plate? With my engine as open as one could get...should I eliminate it??

What do the Valve seats / underside of the valves look like ?

Any data logs when you first started it up?
Dyno logs?
Short of finding the valve train fubared, it looks like something electronic??
The individual cyl tuning hasn't been messed with?
While the engine is down, I'd certainly have those injs retested. I suggest you mark them for location, and have them tested in that same order.

Valve train geometry, valve adjustments, cam timing?
Cam timing was done initially by the builder. Cannot get specs.

TD ROLLER 1 :55

Cannot remember the valve lash adjustments...but was just done when the engine was originally built 12 months ago

Any data logs when you first started it up?
Dyno logs?
Short of finding the valve train fubared, it looks like something electronic??
The individual cyl tuning hasn't been messed with?
While the engine is down, I'd certainly have those injs retested. I suggest you mark them for location, and have them tested in that same order.

Full throttle JUST had them tested and flowed.

Will be replacing injectors to 80 lb ers any ways. As mentioned earlier using nick McCale billet sender and 430 pump.

Individual cyl tune was not messed with. I can send a couple logs in a few that were saved. I did them as I was getting familiar with data logging and the fast.

What kind of fuel where you running? Where was the alky gain set? How much boost and if possible, what was your injector duty cycle? For you to see a lean condition only on one side, that seems really odd, but what's even more odd is how you managed to detonate your motor hard enough to ruin crank bearings yet didn't blow a head gasket... What kind of head gaskets were you using? Is it possible that you have the wrong air flow distribution plate for your upper plenum? Lastly, was the adaptive learn mode turned on and what are/were the correction limits set to?

What kind of fuel where you running? Where was the alky gain set? How much boost and if possible, what was your injector duty cycle? For you to see a lean condition only on one side, that seems really odd, but what's even more odd is how you managed to detonate your motor hard enough to ruin crank bearings yet didn't blow a head gasket... What kind of head gaskets were you using? Is it possible that you have the wrong air flow distribution plate for your upper plenum? Lastly, was the adaptive learn mode turned on and what are/were the correction limits set to?

Adaptive learn was set. Will send a log. I am not sure of the params.

Distribution plate is for a precision plenum. Hyetech plenum

Head gaskets are cometic.