Running Laptop in Car

79TurboCutlass

Corn Eater
What are you guys doing to keep the battery charged in the laptop. Running a power converter, or are there cords out there to plug directly into the cig lighter?

I use a power inverter. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and the laptop plugs into it's standard outlet. Just be carefull, the cheap inverters usually don't work.

Verrrrrrrrry Looooooooong extension cord. I acually have been using my friends car trailer (gen set) and 2 batterys. My Vio is good for about a 1/2 hour, which means its f**king dead by the time the Jr. dragsters are done running! Jezus...why do they always run them RIGHT before my lane goes?? we even have Big Wheel races here in Tucson! Geezzzz

Verrrrrrrrry Looooooooong extension cord. I acually have been using my friends car trailer (gen set) and 2 batterys. My Vio is good for about a 1/2 hour, which means its f**king dead by the time the Jr. dragsters are done running! Jezus...why do they always run them RIGHT before my lane goes?? we even have Big Wheel races here in Tucson! Geezzzz

Why not just get a power inverter?

Check out Igo.com or check with Radioshack for their 12v charger adapters for about $30. They make them to fit everything.
MLH

I used an Inverter as well, but I wanted to keep my lighter free... So I just cut the plug off and spliced in to the power seat harness (since I don't have power seats)

Worked like a charm, and I just turned the inverter off when I got out of the car (had it sitting between the console and seat.

Make sure you secure your laptop/inverter with a good bracket. Around here, they check to make SURE a laptop, scan master, or any data logger, is permantly secure. They lean in and give it a wiggle. If it moves, they make you remove it. They even look into your car as you pull into the burn-out box.

Question, Car's with out power seats. Is the power Seat harness still installed,just not used? , And if it does where would that be hidden?

I want to free up my lighter socket also

Make sure you secure your laptop/inverter with a good bracket. Around here, they check to make SURE a laptop, scan master, or any data logger, is permantly secure. They lean in and give it a wiggle. If it moves, they make you remove it. They even look into your car as you pull into the burn-out box.

Ditto, I use to have a bracket made up for a Camcorder. They always checked to make sure it was sercure.

Question, Car's with out power seats. Is the power Seat harness still installed,just not used? , And if it does where would that be hidden?

I want to free up my lighter socket also

Every car that I've seen has had it whether or not it had PWR seats. But I don't know for sure as I've only had 4.:confused:

the wires had power supplied to them too.

Should just be laying under the driver side seat... Orange(+) and Black(-) wire with a plastic female plug.

Every car that I've seen has had it whether or not it had PWR seats. But I don't know for sure as I've only had 4.:confused:

the wires had power supplied to them too.

Should just be laying under the driver side seat... Orange(+) and Black(-) wire with a plastic female plug.

Thank you