Run with a "small block" in s-10...

blackshoebox

Staff member
So I cruise out to the local spot tonight with a friend who is the know off where the good street racing goes down, and I was on a decent tune with a tire(et streets) so we were looking for action. So we cruise to this spot, which i never seen before, but it turned out to be an ok spot. A few guys are running for some small change(50-100 bucks) and I watch and enjoy the jawing back and forth between two chevelle owners wanting to run but the one was on motor ownly and radial and the other was on a slick and some laughing gas. The radial car was big block, but traction hindered, and to make a real long story short the radial car lost, but the key part of the story was the owner of the radial car swore the race was not a 1/4 but more like 1000 feet if that, keep this in mind.

So as they pulled back around, somehow my little v-6 gets pulled into an arguement about racing a s-10(with an undisclosed small block and spray). The guy said he would run me on motor, on the transbreak(which he launches @ 4000), and my backers who were throwing the money down agreed. So i take a quick look at the truck, it has slicks, drag suspension, and the owners friends spray down a long patch of VHT for him, and I got drive pavement to work with on my lane. :( ...So i drop the et's streets tire pressure and say F)uck it, lets do this.

We pull up, i heat up the tires, and begin staging the car. I bring the car up to about 5 pounds, and put on my lights which meant i was ready to go. The guy flaging us, raises his hands rather quickly in favor of his friend, and were off. The car spun hard to about 55, when it finally caught I was about 3 back, but pulling. I hit third gear, and pull to about his bumper around 105'ish when he lets off!!:mad: Where they were shuting us down was roughly a 1000 foot mark, give or take. I say if it was true 1/4 i come by this guy.

We pull back around and I mention that it wasn't a true 1/4 and said let's remark it and do it again, double or nothing. The guy nor his "money backers" wanted any. So i shook the guys hand and he was paid the 100 bucks the race was for, and told him I wanted a rematch, on a real 1/4 mile. I later found out the truck had went "somewhere in the low 11's" on motor. But could not find out anything else about it, besides the fact that he had 250 shot on tap if I would have pulled him.

I had a good time overall, and it was funny after that race, no body besides one trailered mustang wanted to run me. ;)

Alex

Originally posted by blackshoebox
The car spun hard to about 55

Damn Alex, you should know better than to try to leave @5psi on the street man!

Losing money suck!

Later.

Jorge

A friend of mine has a dad that owns a champagne t-type that launches at 7psi w/ drag radials and doesn't spin out! He runs mid 10's and man (besides me of course) does that car rule the streets. Good job handling that trucky...

1987 Buick Grand National- 11.1 @125... will run 10's soon!

Sounds like whoever marked the end had a car that hooks. Good almost kill. My friend with an Audi S4 lost $2,000 to a roadrace Mustang the same way. Mustang showed up on slicks and a bottle and on top of that they let the Mustang guys mark the 1/4 which was about 200' too long. The Audi got him in the 1/4 but lost by a foot at the line and on top of losing the money fried both of his turbos.

I wouldn't sweat that S-10, Alex. That thing is built for the street. And as for that Blue Chevelle, perhaps he has a little suprise coming this weekend. ;)

- Matt

"Damn Alex, you should know better than to try to leave @5psi on the street man"

The truck was going to leave hard, so I had to try to leave just as hard. The et streets just didn't hook as good as I thought they would.

"And as for that Blue Chevelle, perhaps he has a little suprise coming this weekend."

This weekend will be very interesting to say the least.:cool: I think he will be willing to race you heads up.:D

Alex

Originally posted by blackshoebox
The truck was going to leave hard, so I had to try to leave just as hard.

Alex

So I guess it worked out pretty good for you then. :rolleyes:

What, did you think you were going to lift the front tires up or something? :eek:

:cool:

Jorge.

Originally posted by Turbojorge

What, did you think you were going to lift the front tires up or something? :eek:

Jorge.

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking. :cool: Na, the race gave me a good idea of what kind of power the car is making with everything figured out. The truck runs mid-low 11's and I was pulling on him. ;) I also ran a mid 10 second chevelle on the way to the spot that night, and even though he was traction limited, I was hanging, with a 300 pound friend in the car. :eek: Do you no if Gabby is planning on being at the meeting this friday?? If so, i would like him to bring the upper throttle body he made for me.

Alex

Well, at least it sounds like that bad boy is making a hell-of-alot of power now. I want to see what numbers it's going to be turning at the track.

Hey, Glad to here you didn't get yourself in any trouble or anything, especially since it was memorial weekend and all. I, for one, didn't even want to drive my car around the block.

I'll talk to Gabby today.

Later

Jorge

Originally posted by Turbojorge

Hey, Glad to here you didn't get yourself in any trouble or anything, especially since it was memorial weekend and all. I, for one, didn't even want to drive my car around the block.

I'll talk to Gabby today.

There was two sets of cops who cruised through and watched and then left, as they knew we were harming no one. :D They were friends with the guy who everyone followed to the spot. On the way home afterwords, there was tons of cops on 595, but if you do the speed limit, they don't bother you.

Let me know what Gabby has to say. i think i still have his number and will give him a call around the end of the week.

Alex

Sounds like you need to buy a bottle of VHT if your gonna be doing some money racing on the street alex! You gonna be going out there Saturday? Might try and head out to whatever spot it is this weekend..hopefully the cops wont show so quick again. Last saturday after we all went to Lesters after that guy knocked the Gay dude out...if he would have shown back up...he was in for a BIG suprise...

Soon Project Grey Trash will be out looking for some races..hehehehe :)