Run Flat Tires

GNX Jerry

Has anyone thought about run flat tires for the GN?

I'd sure love to NOT worry about getting a flat tire.

I believe that run flat tires need special wheels for thier lip as

well as pressure monitoring sensors. ($$$) Tire/wheel combo

could be used without expensive sensor monitors, but you'd

need to know if there's a low pressure problem. I'd pay the extra

$$ for tires to have peace of mind while cruising.

WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS SUBJECT?

Originally posted by GNX Jerry
Has anyone thought about run flat tires for the GN?

I'd sure love to NOT worry about getting a flat tire.

I believe that run flat tires need special wheels for thier lip as

well as pressure monitoring sensors. ($$$) Tire/wheel combo

could be used without expensive sensor monitors, but you'd

need to know if there's a low pressure problem. I'd pay the extra

$$ for tires to have peace of mind while cruising.

WHAT'S YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS SUBJECT?

****Okie. I've been driving for more than 20 years of my life. I drive every day, in all kinds of weather. The mileage I drive varies, but it's safe to say I have driven several hundred thousand miles since I got my license. In all of those years, I have had 3 flat tires.

For me, the run flat setup is something that might be nice to have, but I do always carry a spare tire, jack, etc.. mini air compressor, and fix a flat.. as well as a cellphone, and Triple AAA card. Would it be an inconvenience if I got a flat? Yup, but I can change my own tire.. It just doesn't happen often enough that I would consider spending the $$$ on the setup.

I do have cheapo tire valve caps that change colors when the tires drop below 25 or so psi.. I get out of my car often enough that it's no biggie to look and see if one of them has a slow leak.

If I have a sudden blow out on the highway doing 100mph, I will probably just die, and you guys can salvage what you can off the car, or take a spare kidney, etc.. off of me if ya need it, etc.. :)

On my GN, I do carry some spare parts like a crank sensor, tps, fuses, and on longer trips, a spare MAF and ECM, but with all the things that could go wrong, I might as well just tow an extra GN around..

I sometimes get access to a company car with run flat tires and a little sensor inside that tells me when tire pressure is low, etc.. But, it all came with the car.

I'm all for being prepared, but it's all about the degree of risk, versus convenience/inconvenience of reducing and/or eliminating it. Not worth it to me in this case.

Billy
Montgomery Village, MD

I would stay away from run-flats. Ive never heard anything good about them. They ride like sh*t and cost an arm and a leg. If it was my money I would spend it elsewhere. The spare tire, jack, and lug wrench dont weigh that much for they extra $$$ you have to spend on run-flats and a tire pressure monitor system.

James

i worked for lexus for a year and a half. and on the sc430 the tires are only good for 15,000 miles and they cost $380.00 each. the sensors are $67.00 each. not worth it to replace the tires even though they look like new still. and are a PITA to change, takes about 2-4 hours to do all of them.