Rumors that GM might be bringing back the "Grand National" nameplate!!!

No new GN for me

Unless and until GM would make a RWD full size, two door sedan with retro looks reminiscent of the GN's and TR's we know and love (similar to what Ford did with the new Mustang, which is gorgeous in my view), I would have absolutely NO interest for anything badged with a GN or TR nameplate.

The new GTO is a prime example of bastardizing a legend. GM most likely would have gotten a lot better response if they had named the Holden product anything BUT a GTO. By giving it the GTO moniker, they doomed it to failure by comparison. Now, had they delivered it as a new product altogether, leaving the GTO name out of it, there's a good chance it would have fared better.

Ok, maybe not - it's GM we're talking about here, which stands for Goofball Management.

Good product or not, the new 'GTO' is not a GTO by most peoples' standards and I fear that GM will do the same thing to a "GN".

Unless when looking at it a new car would remind you easily of the original legend, don't use the nameplate again. It's whoring at its worst.

Agree. Leave the GN alone. Then, no mistake can be made.

BTW, gas from corn is ethanol. It's been around for a long time. There are FFVs (flexible fuel vehicles) that run on it. You can buy one right now.

Oh, YOU ARE SUBSIDIZING THE AMERICAN FARMER. Plenty. And, all those Arabs you hate? Well, they're in bed with lots of Americans who are probably your friends and neighbors. It ain't that simple...

:)

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
...But I gotta be honest---these days, cars suck, period. ..

I agree 100%. I don't really like the looks of any of the new cars. I hate the retro styling and the hard lines of so many of the new cars. I hate the looks of Mustang and the Caddy. I guess I'm in the minority w/ respect to the retro looks.

I could care less if GM wants to use the GN name. It'll probably go on some lame d!ck looking car that'll suck performance wise...just like the GTO.

JMO,

Steve.

Originally posted by RBE17
I could care less if GM wants to use the GN name. It'll probably go on some lame d!ck looking car that'll suck performance wise...just like the GTO.

The new GTO doesn't "suck performance wise".

The styling may be lame, but the '05's will be quicker, faster and handle better than ANY GTO EVER BUILT.

Our cars ran high 13's from the factory with about 270 HP. The Motor they are talking about for a new GN (turbocharged DOHC 3.5L) would have nearly 400 HP, stock, in an ALL NEW FOR 2006 rear wheel drive chassis.

On paper, I'm onboard with the concept. A new performance car from Buick would make our cars worth more. Look at what 'Cuda values have done in the last few years (they were about dead for 25 years, with only Hemi's and big block convertibles bringing over $25K). Now, rust buckets are $25K. The "Hemi" hype of late hasn't hurt.

The initial modern iteration of the GTO does suck performance-wise compared to other cars in it's price class. And it's boring looking. And GMHTP just reported there is a $2000 factory rebate on it because it's not selling. So, that's settled :D

Other than that, I agree...I would be pleased to see a 400hp RWD GN if it was a faithful retro like the 2005 Mustang. And it would definitely help the value of our cars.

What would be even better is if they would promo it in some show or movie, ala Smokey and the Bandit, Dukes, etc... :)

Mike [:)

Originally posted by mkazigian
The initial modern iteration of the GTO does suck performance-wise compared to other cars in it's price class. And it's boring looking. And GMHTP just reported there is a $2000 factory rebate on it because it's not selling. So, that's settled :D [:)

That's the '04's. You'd have to pay the same price for an '04 now, when the LS2 '05's are only months away.

When GMHTP runs a 12.9 with an '05, stock, are you still going to say the Performance sucks?

Cars have never been better. They are faster, more comfortable, more economical, more reliable, longer lasting, and safer than ever. All at the same time.

A freaking Nissan Altima will run mid 14's, go around corners, putz around town, do anything you want it to. How many so called muscle cars ran mid 14's stock? Answer - Not very many. And those that did were a chore to drive.

I don't get all the whining about how new cars suck.

I'm just sayin' !

Originally posted by UNGN
When GMHTP runs a 12.9 with an '05, stock, are you still going to say the Performance sucks?

No I won't, but today they sell 2004 GTOs not the "we'll get it right this time" 2005 GTO ;) I agree cars are MUCH better now than they ever were. But let's be fair and compare a 2004 to it's contemporaries.

To bear the name "Grand National", the new GN would have to be in contention for "fastest US production sedan" in 2008 and not get whooped at a stoplight by a punk in a showroom STi.

[:)

Let us pray it does not happen. I am sure it would be some sort of abomination!!!! You do not mess with perfection. ;)