Round 2 for the Regal at the dragstrip on 5/21

tpivette89

Originally, I was supposed to run my 97' Regal GS at my local track against my friends 97' 2.4L Olds Achieva. However, my friend chickened out at the last minute and didn't show up. I still ran the Buick and came away with a 14.54 at 94.44mph. Not too bad for a 100% bone stock car with 115k miles on the clock.

So I send my friend the youtube videos of my car running it's times, and he says he still thinks he can beat me. So he challenged me yet again to run at Cecil this saturday. I told him my car is a confirmed mid 14 sec ride and there's NO WAY his Olds will come anywhere close to that time. To which he responds that he doesn't have to be faster than me, he just needs to get the jump on me and stay out in front (??? so he's basically admitted my car is faster, and that he has to resort to getting a better reaction time to cross the finish line first). What he doesn't realize is that he has to be at least a 15.0 car to pull something like that off... AND I'd have to be asleep at the tree. Clueless.

Oh well, whatever he thinks, reality will sink in as I launch on him and get further and further away. Of course, my wife will get his defeat on video for all to see. Hell, maybe I'll make his loss even worse by letting her drive when the cars line up! Any predictions on just how much I'll beat him by?

he wont show up

Originally, I was supposed to run my 97' Regal GS at my local track against my friends 97' 2.4L Olds Achieva. However, my friend chickened out at the last minute and didn't show up. I still ran the Buick and came away with a 14.54 at 94.44mph. Not too bad for a 100% bone stock car with 115k miles on the clock.

So I send my friend the youtube videos of my car running it's times, and he says he still thinks he can beat me. So he challenged me yet again to run at Cecil this saturday. I told him my car is a confirmed mid 14 sec ride and there's NO WAY his Olds will come anywhere close to that time. To which he responds that he doesn't have to be faster than me, he just needs to get the jump on me and stay out in front (??? so he's basically admitted my car is faster, and that he has to resort to getting a better reaction time to cross the finish line first). What he doesn't realize is that he has to be at least a 15.0 car to pull something like that off... AND I'd have to be asleep at the tree. Clueless.

Oh well, whatever he thinks, reality will sink in as I launch on him and get further and further away. Of course, my wife will get his defeat on video for all to see. Hell, maybe I'll make his loss even worse by letting her drive when the cars line up! Any predictions on just how much I'll beat him by?

sounds like all talk no action . let your wife drive and give her a cell phone to give you a blow by blow she'll have the time .. dont worry .:biggrin:

take the win then offer the race againt your wife as a shot at redemption for him - unless she has fwd racing experience of course then let her do him in lol

the margin against you will be 1 to 1.5 seconds in your favor is my prediction and it may be closer to 2 seconds

4 bus lengths

take the win then offer the race againt your wife as a shot at redemption for him - unless she has fwd racing experience of course then let her do him in lol

the margin against you will be 1 to 1.5 seconds in your favor is my prediction and it may be closer to 2 seconds

1.5-2 seconds .

That's what I'm thinking... somewhere between 1.5 and 2 seconds difference between my Regal GS and his Olds Achieva.

Just talked to my friend tonight, and he claims he's still going down. The gates open at 8am and I'll be there to let the cars cool off til racing starts at 9... we"ll see if he shows.

On a side note, I just picked up a 98' Z28 auto, I'll be bringing it down to see what it runs as well. The car is 100% stock (surprising, as I didn't think ANY LS1 cars were stock anymore)... alls I had time to do as far as maintenance was to change the oil and filter, replace the fuel and air filters, and clean the TB. I've got a set of MT E/T Street DRs (275/40R17s) to slap on it... wonder if it'll crack 12s as is.

Youtube videos to come...

I just picked up a 2000z28 myself ! LS1 6 speed , full bolt ons stock internals - I know the guy from hp tuners forum and it ran 11.95 for him street tires(beefy ones) through the exhaust and I also picked up a set of sticky tires for it Hoosier qtp's and a spare rear end from an 02 ss since everyone says the 6 speed cars eat rear ends

I have done some tuning on a friends 2000 convertible/ auto, a tune wakes them up big time - his was running 14 to 1 afr with just a lid and ls6 intake according to my WB fattened it up to 12.8 which allowed some additional timing and it went from a 13.6 car @104 to a 13.1 car @108 on street tires

your gonna like the ls1 but people expect an ls1 car to perform to a certain level the regal when made quick is much more fun because of the element of surprise , especially for those of us who know how to get a good RT people see they are being left by a fwd 4 door and push down harder on the go pedal and if they dont have sticky tires its generally over at that point lol

Well, went racing today. And my friend actually showed up! The air quality was terrible, but here's how it went:

Round 1... DA 1200ft
- Buick Regal: 14.62 at 94.30 with a 2.20 60ft
- Olds Achieva: 17.83 at 75.86mph with a 2.36 60ft

The Achieva was shifting his auto trans manually. I later told him it would be better if he just left in "D" and let the trans do the shifting. I also told him to pump up the rear tires and deflate the fronts. He did much better the 2nd round.

Round 2... DA 1650ft
- Buick Regal: 14.72 at 93.69mph with a 2.22 60ft
- Olds Achieva: 16.85 at 82.05mph with a 2.39 60ft

After taking my advice, he dropped his E/T by a whole second and gained alot of mph too. Becasue they were holding qualifying runs during test and tune, we only got 2 runs in apeice. However, he has newfound respect for the L67 motor and is no longer talking smack!

Unfortunately, my wife forgot her camera, so I couldn't get any video. Oh well, he wants to do it again, so maybe next time.

I just picked up a 2000z28 myself ! LS1 6 speed , full bolt ons stock internals - I know the guy from hp tuners forum and it ran 11.95 for him street tires(beefy ones) through the exhaust and I also picked up a set of sticky tires for it Hoosier qtp's and a spare rear end from an 02 ss since everyone says the 6 speed cars eat rear ends

I have done some tuning on a friends 2000 convertible/ auto, a tune wakes them up big time - his was running 14 to 1 afr with just a lid and ls6 intake according to my WB fattened it up to 12.8 which allowed some additional timing and it went from a 13.6 car @104 to a 13.1 car @108 on street tires

your gonna like the ls1 but people expect an ls1 car to perform to a certain level the regal when made quick is much more fun because of the element of surprise , especially for those of us who know how to get a good RT people see they are being left by a fwd 4 door and push down harder on the go pedal and if they dont have sticky tires its generally over at that point lol
Nice buy! About a year ago, I had a H/C/bolton 98' Z28 6speed. Dynoed 410rwhp. Due to a slipping stock clutch I could only get it to go 12.5 at 116mph. If I had swapped in an aftermarket clutch, I'm sure I could've gone easy mid 11s at almost 120mph. I had to part with that car, however, due to the birth of my son and the fact that my family was now only living off my income.

My current Z28 didn't perform to expectations, however, Guess I shouldn't have ran it right after purchasing it and not going through the car first and doing some basic maintenance. New fluids/filters/plugs/wires etc are coming in the next few weeks and I'll be heading back down to Cecil to see if I can turn some more respectable numbers.

I tried, but she got nervous and backed out. Wanted me to do it... but after she saw what he ran she was kicking herself for not trying. She knew she could do better than his high 16s. Oh well, as I said, my friend wants to come back in his Achieva, so there will be another oportunity for her to run him.

lol this kinda sounds like one of my buddies saying his 03 explorer is gonna take my gn for a ride!!!! so my second time out in the gn i went right to his house....yup he all of a sudden had a memory loss of ever doggin the gn...damn ford owners lol

Only way he was going to get near you would be if had an Achieva SCX. They were pretty hot.

Murph, when your ready to run it at NED let us know. Al and I and maybe Steve would like to see it go.:)