Romulator, anyone using one

87T

Is anyone using the Romulator from Transtronics?????? If so how do you like it, any problems getting it to work Etc. ????:) :)

Romulator? Are your sure you dont want the Star Trek website?
;)

Scott

Originally posted by 87T
Is anyone using the Romulator from Transtronics?????? If so how do you like it, any problems getting it to work Etc. ????:) :)

Yep.
Been using that and the Tunercat R_T software.
Just like an aftermarket ecm, only better.......

Takes building an odd little adapter for it to work thou. Or soldering in a 24 pin ZIF socket into the ecm.

I run the R_T stuff off of the USB port, and the scanner off of the Serial, so can scan and run at the same time.

Odd little adapter?????

Can you give more detail on the adapter that your talking about, is what your saying is that its not ready to plug and use out of the box there are more parts needed that don't come with it :confused: :confused: :confused:

Re: Odd little adapter?????

Originally posted by 87T
Can you give more detail on the adapter that your talking about, is what your saying is that its not ready to plug and use out of the box there are more parts needed that don't come with it :confused: :confused: :confused:

The Romulator is an EEPROM Emulator.
The R_T software allows it to be used in some GM applications.

To use it with a GN ECM takes an adapter.
The ROMULATOR just has a connector on the end for a 28 pin prom, and the gn uses a 24 pin prom. Plus the prom connector doesn't have the holder like the GN ecm uses. There was an adapter on the market to do that, but it was discontinued.

So for the moment that just leaves removing the oem socket and installing a ZIF in it's place.

Maybe Bailey Eng, or Casper's would install a ZIF socket for you in a stock ecm. So far I ruined 4 ecms to get one right with that swap, it's not an easy thing to do, too much heat and the traces come loose.

I think that Craig Moates sells what is needed to make the connection to the ECM I'll have to e-mail him and find out:)

Originally posted by 87T
I think that Craig Moates sells what is needed to make the connection to the ECM I'll have to e-mail him and find out:)

He used too, they were too troublesome.
BTDT.