Rollerized Center Support - Bearing Split - Now What ?

olds403

Just like the title says. Found a chipped / split bearing on the center support and in pan. Really bummed as was in the process of fine tuning shifts with the governor and had to pull the trans tonight to see what broke. I did pull everything out to the sun shell and all broken pieces were isolated to the center support and pan.

The trans was refreshed by me over winter and first time using a rollerized center support. Any help/thought would be appreciated as I am hoping this is something simple The trans is a BRF with billet input and billet forward drum.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are having trouble. Did you dip/submerge that bearing in trans fluid or pack it with assembly lube when you installed it? Was it dry? On the next one I would do something to prelube it.
So, you were able to get a brf vb/gov? Cool. I'm still trying to make the aa stuff to work.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

There is not Normally a bearing here. This is a modified center support that a roller bearing was added. This is where a thrust bearing is normally used. I set the clearance to what a thrust bearing would use.
The motor in front of this tranny is an Olds so torque comes on hard like a sledge hammer. I need some feedback from builders as to what is recommended.

How is the bearing located? Usually constrained by the OD or ID but not both. To break on the edge like that I would make sure it's not riding up on an edge. Also thrust clearance with these bearings should be kept minimal depending on how many turning members are in the system. If clearance is to much, whatever your locating the bearing with could be compromised. Excessive thrust could possibly lead to impact loading.
AG

I've been thinking about this for a little while.

With a thrust washer should you have a tiny bit of clearance?

Should a thrust bearing have a tiny bit of preload?

I do not know yet. I have another center support that is not modified and will use it now.